Shower screen seal - that tiny little gap!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right does anyone have any tips for me on this one?

Despite pushing it up as close to the hinge as possible I'm struggling to make sure that the shower seal stops a dribble of water that flows between the tiny gap left on the straight edge.

I've managed to blag another seal from the company as a back up if I mess this up.

Sponsored Links
No chance as that would stop the screen moving on the hinge.

Here's a photo http://db.tt/p1bjJRF7

Sorry for only posting the link. I'm doing this from my ipad and haven't worked it out exactly yet!!

Sponsored Links
Yeah I agree. Believe it or not The place is a new build and only 3 years old. That's how it was done from new.

Shall i buy a different seal?

yeah sure

http://db.tt/O9sIhEjl

This is from inside. The tiny gap is in the circled area. It looks as though it could be pushed forward a little more but honestly thats as far as it goes.

Can you not trim the seal to the profile at the end and slide it along a little to get a fully touching fit?

So cut the solid plastic guide away from the soft seal and thread it so the soft seal covers the gap more?

Sort of - thought trimming a bit of the soft seal would enable the plastic guide (the bit fixed to the glass) to slide along.

I've just looked again and to be honest if anything its the hard plastic that is holding the seal back as opposed to the other way around.

Is cutting the solid plastic back 5-10mm feasible?

Just so we're in no doubt - I'm referring to the seal that runs along the bottom edge of the glass. I'm sure that you could trim a bit of this and close the gap considerably, and add a small blob of silicon a the top of it afterwards if necessary. What sliding this along a few mm will do at the other end of the screen is another question, but I'd guess that the water escaping where it is is bugging you a bit more!

Ahhhh My apologies. The bit which is tight to the glass is actually quite firm plastic and the flap is soft.

So cutting off a bit of that bit gripping glass will help. Shall I just use a junior hacksaw?

Thanks for your help

Looks like it's on back to front, should splay out into bath side and be short edge to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back