Shower screen wallpost fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just fitting a Kudos Inspire shower screen, although I guess this applies to any other shower screen too:

The installation instructions are very clear about running your bead of silicone round the entire edge of the bath before installation. OK, fine.

upload_2022-4-24_11-19-59.png

Then, when you install the wallpost it's shown touching the bath and the silicone seal has magically disappeared.

upload_2022-4-24_11-21-11.png

The problem with this of course is that it doesn't work in reality.

You would have the fit the wallpost in front of the silicone like this, which clearly doesn't work

MVIMG_20220424_111711.jpg

Or like this, on top of the silicone, which also wouldn't work

MVIMG_20220424_111707.jpg

The only ways to sort this would be to

1 - Trim/make a slot in the silicone in the position where the wallpost will sit

2 - Grind a corner off the wallpost to clear the silicone bead like this:

MVIMG_20220424_111636.jpg

So, fellow DIYNOTers... what would you do/have you done in the past?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fitted hundreds of screens and doors and have never ground anything off. Screw it to the wall and it will bite in to the silicone, I usually do this when the silicone is wet anyway.

More than one way to skin that cat .. as they say.

I would cut the slot out the silicone and then dry fit the wall plate and level it all up, take it back off and add some new silicone to the cut and then fit. Belt and braces if the bath wasn't sealed properly when fitted.

TBH, even if there wasn't any silicone added it shouldn't leak, if the bath was fitted properly. The silicone on the bath shouldn't just be that fillet on the top, the bath edge should be sealed to the wall and along the top edge first, given 24hrs with a full bath to set and then the tiles fitted and sealed again so cutting that piece out shouldn't make it leak IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back