Shower skirting damp cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping that the experts on here can assist us with this problem.
We’ve had 2 showers recently installed and tiled, however in both of these showers damp has begun to appear through the skirting boards directly adjacent to the showers. The attached photo’s show this. Unfortunately we simply don’t know why this has happened and we can't see any obvious leaks when the showers are running. If any of you have experience dealing with similar problems, or who have an informed opinion as to what might be causing this damp and what we could do to resolve it I would be very grateful as it's become a real concern. Thanks.
1t0w9w.jpg
16a2n4h.jpg
20jmu6q.jpg
1zgdldw.jpg

Sponsored Links
Incorrect enclosure install / bad grouting / no tanking / any combination thereof
Got some close up pics from inside? Show tile grouting and silicone along the tray into the corners by the door

Incorrect enclosure install / bad grouting / no tanking / any combination thereof
Got some close up pics from inside? Show tile grouting and silicone along the tray into the corners by the door
Thanks 23vc, I'll take the photos as you suggest and post them.

Here're the close up photo's of the grout and tiling in the corners adjacent to where the damp is externally in both showers.
2qwlan5.jpg
actrm8.jpg
118j0bc.jpg
1r7kwp.jpg

25s5z4g.jpg
e62etg.jpg
28mpkdv.jpg
20f6fzc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Enclosure (door) install looks wrong. Usual correct method is:
- Silicone between tray and tile all the way around
- Fit enclosure on top of this
- Seal outside edge of enclosure only, not inside edge

It looks like your bead of silicone "stops" when it hits the enclosure, whereas it should continue under the enclosure as it should have been done before the enclosure was fitted
It also looks like your enclosure may be siliconed to the tray on the inside, which is also wrong, as its meant to be open to allow water sat within the enclosure channeling to drain back into the shower.
Google a typical shower door installation manual and you'll see pics of what I mean.

As above.
and tile should be run beyond the enclosure/tray footprint by a min of one full tile - the enclosure is then fixed through the tile.
you will have to remove the enclosure and do as suggested - believe me, nothing else will work.

Enclosure (door) install looks wrong. Usual correct method is:
- Silicone between tray and tile all the way around
- Fit enclosure on top of this
- Seal outside edge of enclosure only, not inside edge

It looks like your bead of silicone "stops" when it hits the enclosure, whereas it should continue under the enclosure as it should have been done before the enclosure was fitted
It also looks like your enclosure may be siliconed to the tray on the inside, which is also wrong, as its meant to be open to allow water sat within the enclosure channeling to drain back into the shower.
Google a typical shower door installation manual and you'll see pics of what I mean.
Thanks 23vc, that's really helpful. We'll have a look this weekend.

Could be as simple as water left on the floor from messy use being absorbed by skirting.

After a lengthy hiatus, we've eventually gotten round to addressing this problem with the damp skirting.
We'd established thanks to all your help that the damp is occurring because the shower enclosure is fixed directly to the wall which isn't tiled, when the enclosure should in fact be fixed to tiles on the wall.
We're keen to find an effective, good value solution and it's been suggested that running a bead of silicone from top to bottom, along the inside of the shower frame, as identified in the photo will solve the problem, rather than removing the enclosure, running the tiles out further so that we can reinstall the enclosure by fitting it to the tiles. I'm posting to see what those of you who have experience with these type of things think of this potential solution. Thanks.
IMG-0468-2.jpg
IMG-0466.jpg

Thanks Gerrydelasel, do you think that siliconing every seam around the bar will solve the problem effectively?
Basically yes. It's not exactly pretty but I don't think you have much alternative! Clear silicone shouldn't look too bad.
I have exactly the same problem where I get a small leak between the bottom of the aluminium strip and the tray. Like you it has spoiled my MDF skirt, although not as bad as yours. I must get round to sealing that up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back