Corner shower leaking.....again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At what point do you stop chucking money at it?

It's a 18 year old 'estate' house, and neither my husband or I are DIY'ers, particularly on this scale!

We had our corner shower 'quarter circle' glass surround replaced, along with the tray, about 5 years ago. The new tray is plastic.The original tiling remained as it appears to be in good condition. A few months ago I moved some heavy furniture in an adjoining bedroom into which the shower area of our ensuite protrudes, to find the carpet very damp, (and ruined), the skirting board 'blown (about 80cms long), and it all smelled musty.

A bloke came and scraped out old grouting and replaced it. 3 months later, it leaked again. We pulled off the blown skirting but no obvious area of leak seen, just dampness; and we took off the front curved facing in the ensuite to look underneath the shower tray, and it definitely appears it's ^not^ the actual plumbing or drainage; the line of damp seems to be below the L shaped tiled walls, as far as you can see with a torch, and I'm aware of how well water can travel via capillary action!

Anyway, another bloke came (can't find the first and unsure we'd get anywhere with him anyway!) who re-grouted better as we felt you could see fine lines of black in some of the grouting where water might've got through, and redid the silicon where the frame of the glass cubicle meets the tiled wall and meets the tray.

Appeared problem solved. Except, 2 months later, the carpet in the second bedroom is now possibly wetter than before!

The bloke is coming back next week to do some other work, and is obviously anxious to sort our problem with the shower.

Bearing in mind we've already paid out (so we still have a leak despite ££ being spent on it already), so I'm not expecting to pay any more for his labour this time as his 'brief' was ' do what needs doing to stop this shower leaking (within reason!), unless we ask him to basically strip the tiled wall altogether, retile it and put a ceramic tray in. I am wondering if the flexing of the plastic tray may have caused the silicon sealant to break. And I''d imagine that taking the tiles off, bottom row first would eventually reveal a point where there was no evidence of water damage above it? So you could stop there?

OR should he cut out the plasterboard in the adjoining bedroom to look at the back of the board on which the ensuite tiling is glued?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Are the water pipes hidden in the wall by any chance. If you keep regrouting and sealing the shower, and it still leaks, then the problem lies elsewhere. Can you post some pictures.

Thanks for your reply. The pipes are behind the wall, as you say, but my feeling is that where the leaks are evident is fair way away. The tiled cubicle is L shaped, and the mixer tap comes out of the left hand wall at 'hand height' in the middle of that wall (the shower head connects to that via a flexible hose within the cubicle).

If you stand looking into the shared corner of the L, or rather 'through' it to the bedroom behind where the problem is evident, the blown skirting and wet carpet is along the base of the right hand wall, not the mixer tap, left hand wall. Looking underneath the shower tray (restricted!) you can at least see the woodwork along the base of that left hand wall and it looks clean, not blackened, and the floor there has no water marking; whereas the base woodwork of the right hand wall shows evident water damage.

So I'm thinking the issue is water getting through the wall when someone is showering rather that the plumbing leaking? I will see if I can get photos, though they'll need to be annotated with some explanations!

You're reasoning is sound, but water is unpredictable, and I've seen it take strange routs to end up in unforseen places. And I don't think two tilers would have made such a bad job that leaked again so soon. Can you leave the shower for a bit, and see if it still leaks - but that would depend whether the leak comes before or after the shower valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Fair point about the tilers (though the first was 'a handyman' rather than a tiler!). Due to how wet the bedroom carpet has become (luckily it's going to be replaced, anyway!) I think we are going to have to do something sooner rather than later. There's even a 2" water stain on the plaster of the hall ceiling beneath the shower, but needless to say, it corresponds with the far right end of the right hand wall...!

Grout is not waterproof, if the shower is installed against a plasterboard wall without tanking the water will continue top get through.

Got to disagree guys, I've only ever used grout, never tanked, and none of mine have leaked. The shower went for for about 4 1/2 years without a problem, and 2 people haven't been able to fix it, so the problems got to lie elsewhere.

miljee,
Why not post photos of the shower installation & the water damaged area?
Its pretty rare for pipes to leak in the shower wall(s). And very obvious.

Got to disagree guys, I've only ever used grout, never tanked, and none of mine have leaked. The shower went for for about 4 1/2 years without a problem, and 2 people haven't been able to fix it, so the problems got to lie elsewhere.
Problem not apparent for 4 1/2 years, does not follow that the problem has just arisen, small leak thru the tile grout would take few years before it completely soaked the plasterboard and then started to appear the other side.Some leaks never show, until the floor suddenly collapses as the timbers have all rotted.

Right now the issue is that 'the problem' is all covered over- as in- we thought it was fixed! It'd be more useful to get a photo once the new skirting board and base-or-shower strip have been removed- again- to gain access to the offending area!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back