Shower smells like a sewer, what parts do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see pic of shower waste in its current form.

Can anyone provide a link (e.g. screwfix, toolstation etc) to parts I need complete the job?

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_182117466~2.jpg
    IMG_20230703_182117466~2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
What’s wrong with it? Currently has a water trap. Maybe it’s the incorrect depth, maybe it’s being siphoned out? Maybe you could give us more information?

What’s wrong with it? Currently has a water trap. Maybe it’s the incorrect depth, maybe it’s being siphoned out? Maybe you could give us more information?
Got a new shower fitted a few weeks ago.

I lost the silver drain cover so it was never fitted at the time.

I now want to complete the job and use the shower, but it smells

And i am assuming it smells because of the missing drain cover, lack of seal etc

So i wanted to ask the forum what parts i need to order.. As i don't want to make a mistake or over spend on parts i may not need...

Do i just need the pictured? Also can the size i need be confirmed too?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710-130241-801.png
    Screenshot_20230710-130241-801.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
You'll be lucky to find the correct part, they are normally bought as one unit, and are not interchangeable between different makes.

You'll be lucky to find the correct part, they are normally bought as one unit, and are not interchangeable between different makes.
So what do i need to do?

Buy a complete set of what?

Go back to the manufacturer and ask whether they have spare parts?

What are the names of the parts required?

Do you know what make the trap is? Otherwise, probably best obtaining a new one. I wouldn’t think that’s the reason it smells like a sewer, usually the trap seal (water) has been lost or there’s an open end of soil/waste.

Shower trap, can you access things below the tray?

Doubt it.. But will have to check and report back.

So buy the shower trap pictured and job done?

Do you know what make the trap is? Otherwise, probably best obtaining a new one. I wouldn’t think that’s the reason it smells like a sewer, usually the trap seal (water) has been lost or there’s an open end of soil/waste.
No, but i can track them down via the bath company i bought the shower set from.

Can i not just purchase the fluidmaster @denso13 linked take the cap and cup (sorry i don't know the technical name) and bobs your uncle?

I am not a plumber but I work in many houses.

I suspect that @CBW may be correct that the water is being syphoned out (and allowing sewer smells up).

Not having a drain cover will not cause smells.

In the majority of cases where my customers had similar issues, it was down to partial blockages in the soil/sewer pipes. When a toilet was flushed, it would syphon the water out of the bath or shower.

An easy way of checking, would be to pour a cup of water in to the shower each time a toilet is flushed. If no smells, then check for obstructions.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It does, the long white bit dips into the water and causes a seal. Without it the drain smells come out here, it is the open drain outlet,

View attachment 307912

Ahhh, I stand corrected, thanks.

Yeah, the standing water without the insert would be lower than the drainage outlet.

Thanks for correcting me.

I discounted the idea of a cover but hadn't considered the insert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back