Shower (solenoid?) problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an'Essentials 9.5 J89L' electric shower in our bathroom. It was installed before we moved into the house so I know it is at least 5 years old.

I have recently replaced the pull switch as it was playing up, however since changing it I have the following problem with the shower:

When I turn the shower on there is no power and the water dribbles out if at all. If I turn the cold tap on in the bath or sink and put the shower head low, turning off the tap suddenly seems to kick the shower into life and it works.

More recently, if the shower is on and the toilet is flushed or tap turned on, the power seems to go again and the water goes cold until it is 'kicked' back into life.

I am assuming that this is nothing to do with me changing the pull switch.

I have read a bit on the internet and it seems that the symptoms are consistent with a faulty solenoid coil. I have seen a video on YouTube demonstrating what they look like and how to change them so thought I would give it a go.

Before I bought one, I took the cover off the shower (fuse out first etc :) ) and I can't for the life of me see where the solenoid coil should be.

Admittedly it is a rubbishy shower, but is it possible it does not have a solenoid coil and if so, what is the problem likely to be?

Sponsored Links
is it possible it does not have a solenoid coil and if so, what is the problem likely to be?

Depends what yr the shower is.
Are the 2 dials on the cover vertical or horizontal ? That'll tell me what yr it is.

By what you describe it's a early model fault.

I tend to find these types of showers have a life span of about 4/5 years these days with average use,
replacement parts can be difficult to get as particular models are discontinued so not really worth bothering with,
I advise customers to get a new model (at least it will have a garantee) they are cheap enough at B&Q, Argos etc,

I advise customers to get a new model (at least it will have a garantee) they are cheap enough at B&Q, Argos etc,

So you would chuck say a £250 mira sport away for a cheapo rebadged
£70 b&q shower for the sake of a £15 part. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

Depends what yr the shower is.
Are the 2 dials on the cover vertical or horizontal ? That'll tell me what yr it is.

The dials are horizontal. I did notice whilst searching on line that there was a product recall for this shower but our batch number does not appear to be an affected one.

Bosswhite wrote:

£70 b&q shower for the sake of a £15 part.

We were actually considering a new one in any case as the power of this is poor even when working. In winter the water 'falls' out of the shower head when at a decent temperature. The mira sport 10.8 was what I had in mind but it would then require a new cable. The other option would be a new combi boiler to replace our old boiler and hotwater cylinder but that will be subject to another thread! :D. Until we have the cash and have decided on what route to take i was hoping I could get away with a cheap fix.

I have take a picture of the inside of the shower if that helps.

£70 b&q shower for the sake of a £15 part. :confused:

Take into account the cost for removing the Shower, obtaining the spare part if its available and not discontinued, (depends how good the supplier is ) and the spare part works OK, the possibility that the shower could fail within the next couple of months because of another fault due to its age, (no garantee) refitting shower.

or

Take off shower replace with cheapo B& Q shower £70, one years garantee at least, replace, (a couple of hours charges) get about 4/5 years life out of it.

Unfortunately these days sometimes its cheaper to throw away and replace with new.

As i said an early model fault.
You should be getting a low pressure neon on as well when the fault occurs.

Pilot valve fault, Basically does the same job as a solenoid valve.
pilotvalve.jpg

Thankyou seco, and yes I do get the low pressure light when the water fails.

I take it that the Mira Pilot Valve 419.87 that your photo is of will fit - it looks the same?

I take it that the Mira Pilot Valve 419.87 that your photo is of will fit - it looks the same?

The early pilot valve is now obsolete.
You use the 419.87, but change the white spindle over from your old valve.

The old one has a D drive the later one is a spline drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back