Shower switch location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable from a safety and regulation point-of-view to locate a shower pull-cord switch in zone 3, i.e. less than 0.6m horizontally but greater than 2.25m vertically from the bath?

This would mean the shower could be switched on and off when standing in the bath by using the pull-cord.

Sponsored Links
601-08-01 insulating pull cords of cord operated switches complying with bs3676 are permitted in zones 1 and 2.

So it's ok if you can reach the cord from within the bath?

Sponsored Links
Yup.

The whole point of pull switches is to allow the operation of the switch to be done within a zone where the switch itself should not be placed.

B-A-S
I was in a similar predicament. Had a Sparky around today to look over my electric shower installation and he said that I couldn't have my 50A DP switch in Zone 1.(Pain in the but after having routed and terminated 10MM "DrainPipe" T&E!

Confused from Devon

Only the electrical part of the switch has to be above the zones. The string can be routed anywhere - its not carrying any current.
However, even if out of zones, the electrical part should still be not where it will suffer from steam or condenstion, as this will cause premature contact failure (green spot of death !) so just because something is permitted by the regs, it may not be a good idea, and some sparks will be more imaginative than others.
regards M.

Does anyone produce a remote switch with an ELV relay (or possibly a hydraulic or pneumatic remote switch) so you can fit a 50A switch somewhere safe and control it from somewhere wet?

Was thinking, seeing as the bathroom is fast becoming an ELV-zone (12V lights, extractors) someone could produce a 12V relay.

afaict the main perpose of the shower isolator is emergency switching and/or maintinance isolation

the trouble with any form of relay/contactor arrangement is making it fail-safe

plugwash said:
afaict the main perpose of the shower isolator is emergency switching and/or maintinance isolation
Or triggering a fan...

the trouble with any form of relay/contactor arrangement is making it fail-safe
It's no less fail-safe than a switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back