Location of Shower pull cord- distance from bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Folks,

Is there a minimum distance from the bath\shower for a shower pull cord to be located?

The pull cord of my shower is next to the bath, so theoretically one could reach from the pull the cord or even touch the pull cord ceiling rose if you reached over the shower screen?

The same is true for the extractor fan pull switch and also the ceiling extrator fan unit.

Also the light, but I'm going to replace that with something waterproof.

I'm wondering because I'm doing up the bathroom and want to get it all straight regarding the regulations.

I've already bought 16mm cable to replace the 6mm that had been installed by the previous occupants on a 10.8Kw shower!

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Is there a minimum distance from the bath\shower for a shower pull cord to be located?
Not the cord, no, but ...
The pull cord of my shower is next to the bath, so theoretically one could reach from the pull the cord or even touch the pull cord ceiling rose if you reached over the shower screen?
How high is your ceiling? It sounds as if the switch itself may well be in an unacceptable location.
I've already bought 16mm cable to replace the 6mm that had been installed by the previous occupants on a 10.8Kw shower!
6mm² is certainly inadequate, but the chances are that you don't really need 16mm².

Kind Regards, John

If your ceiling is higher than 2.25m from the floor then you can put the switches anywhere.

If lower than 2.25m then it must be outside zone 2, i.e. more than 600mm. from a vertical line from the side of the bath.

The string does not count.

Even if you are very tall do not play with the switches when you are taking a bath or shower.
Do not play with the shower either, that is electric and right in front of you.

6mm² is just acceptable for a 10.8kW but you will have to ensure that it passes through NO insulation nor conduit and you can obtain a 45A MCB for your consumer unit - not all manufacturers make them.

Sponsored Links
If your ceiling is higher than 2.25m from the floor then you can put the switches anywhere.
Indeed - but given that the bases of baths and shower trays can be well above floor level, it was perhaps not all that sensible a person who invented that rule. I would certainly not want anything electrical in my house which could be touched by a fairly tall person standing in the bath or shower, would you?

Kind Regards, John

I would certainly not want anything electrical in my house which could be touched by a fairly tall person standing in the bath or shower, would you?
The shower, itself?

People always seem to forget and ignore its position.

I would certainly not want anything electrical in my house which could be touched by a fairly tall person standing in the bath or shower, would you?
The shower, itself? People always seem to forget and ignore its position.
Yes, we do tend to 'forget' about that - but perhaps at least partially because it is designed to get wet and be touchable. A ceiling switch (or light fitting) of not too good an IP rating, and maybe full of (and dripping with) condensation, is, to my mind, more of a worry.

Kind Regards, John

thanks for the speedy replies folks.

Top tip with the 2.25 meters, I had a look at the zones diagram the regulations, but I hadn't noticed the 2.25m hieght.

I've got 2.4meters but I am planning to put in an L shapped bath, which will mean that the old shower pull switch is actually over the bath, allbeit higher than required at 2.4m.

I wasn't too happy about that so I bought a 50A dp wall switch to go on the otherside of the bathroom wall on the landing, but the breeze block wall is not thick enough hold it. arrrhhh!
Now I find that the cable is not long enough to go across the loft to reach to the other side of the bathroom in order to relocate the pull switch away from the bath.

Arrhhhhhhh!

So, it looks like its either a buy a whole new, longer length of cable to reach the other side of the bathroom in one stretch, or get a 60A junction box from tlc-direct and a shorter extra piece of cable.

I'm not sure if you are allowed junction boxes in the loft for shower connections though?

I think 16mm was overkill, and expensive, but the cable will go through some conduit on the outside of the wall, then up the back of a cupboard, under the floor, up the inside of the wall(channeled out, in plastic conduit) through the ceiling(insulation) and across the loft(on top of insulation) so I opted for the 16mm but now wish I hadn't as it is bloomin hard to work with and I think it is too fat to fit in the shower connections as is! (I've also seen 10mm get hot with a 9kW shower in my old (bodged) house I rented, quite a voltage drop through it as well, so was being overcautious with the 16mm).

I have manage do to buy a 50A MCB that fits the CU, that wasn't easy either.

Thant for the reminder about testing ban-all-sheds, I'm doing the donkey work(buying included) and then my competant part p person is going to check it all out and finish the job off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back