shower switch location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric shower has the pull switch about 2 metres away from the actual shower unit. The switch is inside the bathroom, but out of reach from when I have a shower. The shower unit is above the bath (I do not have a shower cubicle).

Is this within the regs? , only if I was having some sort of electric shock (minor or major) , and I was alone in the house, I would not be able to reach the cord to isolate the supply.

I would appreciate some replies from electricians out there (not neccessarily 16th reg readers).

Sponsored Links
Yes it is within the regs. You shouldn't be able to reach it from within the shower.

ideally, it should be witin arms reach of the shower so you can switch off in an emergency

Andy, the accessible switch is on the shower unit itself. The 'shower switch' pullcord or plate is an isolator and not designed to act as an emergency switch. (There is nothing wrong, whatsoever, with the switch being located outside the bathroom, in fact.)

The issue with zoning is whether the switch is designed for the conditions encountered within the zones.

A fault that could cause any exposed conductive parts of the shower unit to become live should cause automatic disconnection by the circuit protective device/s. This is why wiring regulations exist and why you should understand them before dabbling.

Sponsored Links
I guarantee you, if you get an electric shock you will be far to busy getting SHOCKED to be thinking about isolating the supply. :LOL: ;)

Very True, and thanks for the replies - Incidentally, I was only curious, I was not looking to move it or anything, I just wanted to make sure that it was within regulations. It is MCB and RCD protected with branded parts, so I feel safe in the shower, without the need to worry about isolating the supply.

On another safety note, although the shower unit has its own earth connection from the T&E, the water supply to the shower is supplementary bonded with 6mm earth cable (as you would expect!) , but the other end of the earth cable is tagged off another earth clamp from under the washbasin (cold tap supply) , but it is tagged off as if it was a spur from an existing radial run, which means I have an earth clamp under my sink with 3 earth connectors!!

Looking at the run (and ignoring the shower earth flylead style bond!!) it seems as if the cable comes from the meter board , into the bathroom straight to the cold water sink pipe , across to the hot water sink pipe, over to the bath cold pipe then across to the bath hot pipe and ending up tagged to the central heating radiator. Should'nt the shower bond have been placed in series with the earth cable (maybe even added to the end of the run??) , and not tagged to the nearest earth clamp under my sink . Would this affect the faraday cage principle? Does it matter, as long as there is a direct bond to the pipework (and all other metalwork in the bathroom), or must there be some chained principle.

Again, I'd appreciate electricians views on this, I just want to make sure the wiring in my house is all within spec, especially as I have the safety of my family to think about.

If the copper pipe is continuous, and permanently joined (e.g. soldered) you can use it as a part of the earthing conductor. The cable can join the pipes inside the bathroom, or close outside (e.g. in the airing cupboard).

However you mention it seems to come from the CU? It is supposed to be connected to the earthing conductor of each electrical circuit in the bathroom (this is usually the lighting circuit, and the shower if an electric one).

I wouldn't have thought this was a safety issue, but no doubt someone will explain if it is (my kitchen is done to old regs, the same way).

Yes, but bear in mind that the earthing conductors of the light circuit, and the shower circuit, are already connected to the consumer earth via their appropriate feed cables, then technically, although my bathroom pipes and metalwork are connected via large 10mm cable back to the consumer earth.

Am slightly confused!! Should the incoming water supply that feeds the shower also be bonded to the earth terminal of the actual shower (even though it has its own earth via the T&E??) , or is it sufficeable for it just to be bonded to the earthed pipework?

The shower switch body should be in Z3 or OTZ's, but the pullcord can be in any zone.

Zone 3 is either beyond 600mm from edge of bath or shower tray (if ceiling is sub 2.25m off floor) or just beyond the edge of bath or ST if ceiling is in excess of 2.25m high. However, if the ceiling height is borderline, no part of the body of the switch when mounted should be less than 2.25m off the floor.

If you are still with me, you deserve a biscuit!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back