Shower tiles peeling waterproof membrane away from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, retiling my shower. We've applied waterproof membrane and everything was looking great, until it came to tiling. When we started, we noticed in one place it was blistering away from the wall, although not too much so we thought as we were using large tiles it wouldn't be too problematic. Turns out the tiles looked a bit of a mess and were 'squishy', so we pulled them off ( they'd only been up about 5 minutes) to find a large section of the waterproof membrane came away from the wall with it.

My assumption here is that maybe the glue underneath hasn't dried properly despite the fact it was left for a couple days. How do I remedy this? Both the glue not drying and the fact that we've now got a massive section where the membrane isn't fully attached to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Why were you re-tiling the shower?
Are the walls masonry or stud framing?
The "glue" that you refer to - do you mean the tile adhesive?
Do you have any photo's?

I've just noticed that I previously responded to your first post - you seemed to have ignored my post?

Hi Vinn!

Sorry I didn't reply to your other post, I wasn't sure how to get images to show up, I'd also solved the issue in the meantime. The walls are all masonry, and the adhesive used is just the tile glue as was recommended in the instructions for the waterproof matting. Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored Links
I dont know what "the issue" was so i cant comment on how you "solved" it.
Maybe the "issue" has some bearing on what happened next?
Is your tanking matting glued onto solid plaster, plaster board or backer board?
Whats the name of the matting & the matting glue?
Did you use cementitious powder adhesive for the actual tiles?
If you can solve the difficulty of posting photos then one of what you have and one of the previous issue would certainly help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back