Tiling in a shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on tiling in a down-stairs shower room/toilet. I am getting conflicting advice from a couple of tradesmen (one plumber, one electrician) with regard to my preparation of the walls in the shower area. The walls are solid plastered block. The previous tiles were stuck directly onto the plaster. No problems. (They were a devil to get off. Took a lot of the surface skim of the plaster off which I have repaired). The question is with regard to how to prepare the walls for tiling. Can I tile directly onto the plastered walls as before or should I add some sort of waterproof membrane or backing board? I am rather should of space so I am not keen on the latter. Grateful for any advice anyone has to offer....

Sponsored Links
The building forum would be best place to get an answer.

From what I have seen, no membranes or backboards are used.

I too struggled to find an electrical content. Except for the fact that he consulted an electrician about tiling :rolleyes:

I've asked the moderators to move this topic to the "In The Garden" forum where he will encounter folk who really know their onions.

Sponsored Links
OOps! Was looking at one of my previous threads in 'electrical'. Must have created my new topic in that area. Doh :LOL: Sorry folks. Over to tiling it is...

Depending on the weight of the tile your using just use a tanking kit to waterproof the enclosure. this is applied with a roller and is easy - £40-60 quid.

If the weight of the tiles is over 16kg a m2, then a different solution is needed

What size/weight tiles are you proposing to use? What did you repair the plaster skim with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back