Shower Tray / Door dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small barn holiday let conversion; builder has formed shower room as per architects drawing; two walls external/two walls studwork, including a small 'nib wall' between shower area and rest of room, which is intended to allow cabinets to run 'wall-to-wall'.

However I'm struggling to see how this can work with the shower tray and shower screen/door ... the 800x1200 tray will sit inside the nib wall, so if the shower screen/door is fitted 'wall-to-wall' from the end of the nib to the opposite wall, then it will be positioned outside the shower tray rather than on the front edge of it. I can't see a neat way of fitting it on front edge of the tray as it will then sit behind the nib wall. The pic should help explain the issue..

I can't see a neat way round it other than remove the nib wall; end the cabinets before the shower, and have a full 1200mm shower door wall-to-wall, or am I missing something?
Capture.JPG

Sponsored Links
use a 700 solid screen, 300 deflector should leave enough room to get in and out, or a sliding shower door.

Thanks, but 700 screen mounted where? If it's hung from end of the nib wall I will have the same problem in terms of it 'missing' the shower tray at the bottom? If mounted somehow on the inside corner of the nib wall (bottom l-h corner of my 'nib wall' box in sketch) then it will be on the edge of the shower tray so I doubt would be watertight

By the way the nib wall is 300mm, so existing opening is only 900mm

I don't see how a sliding shower door would work at all - it would need mounting on the shower wide of the nib wall (ie not on the end of the nib wall) in order to sit on the flat 'border' of the shower tray - every one I've looked at it designed to fit 'wall-to-wall' not projecting from face of a wall

Sponsored Links
Assumig your building the nib wall, can you just leave it out?

Even if you couldnt shower doors sit within the tray, it might look a bit odd.. Have a google of Kudos shower screens and look at the detailing

Assumig your building the nib wall, can you just leave it out

It's already built but just studwork so fairly easily removed - consequences would be that the cabinet run would no longer be wall-to-wall, and would need to end before the shower screen, and a small section of waste from shower to cabinets would be visible (this needs to run to cabinets to meet wc waste) - neither of these are showstoppers but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something before removing the stud wall

Even if you couldnt shower doors sit within the tray, it might look a bit odd.. Have a google of Kudos shower screens and look at the detailing
Yes this is the issue I have, and yes I'll have a look, thanks

Please post a few photos,your situation is recoverable but please dismiss the project manager :!:

currently have some bespoke shower screens and shower doors (pivot) being made,you will recover the cost as its a rental property and get good reviews :LOL:

Please post a few photos,your situation is recoverable but please dismiss the project manager :!:
:LOL:

Err that will be me then :) .... this glitch is a consequence of managing what's effectively a full 1-bed self-contained build while also doing my day job (when I say "barn conversion", it was actually carefully demolish and rebuild with original bricks and tiles (original building was c.200 yrs old) on same footprint, this time with foundations....)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back