Shower tray grout/seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leak coming under the front rail of a quadrant shower enclosure so have pulled it all out to reseal, but as always it throws up questions :D

The sealant joining tray to tiles was mouldy so I've removed that too, but there are a few bits of grout missing - quite thin gaps say 2-3mm and 2-4cm in length are missing
tilegrout.jpg

Should these be filled with grout or squeezed full of silicone before putting the new bead in?

Secondly, the oft-asked question about sealing on the outside only :D This is the bottom rail, upside down so you can see the surface that will be in contact with the tray
showerrail.jpg

This is solid all the way around - no drainage holes in it. This was previously sealed just on the outside edge but it was clear that water has sat underneath it on the inside edge as the surface has deposits/staining on it. I understand why they say don't seal the inside, so any water can drain into the tray, but looking at this design I don't see a problem sealing this rail on the inside, am I wrong? :D

Sponsored Links
Sealing the tray to tiles with silicone is needed ,filling the gap with grout is not.
Sealing the outside of the enclosure is all that is required. That allows water to drain into the tray. Sealing inside as well can result in water being trapped in between ,and may cause other issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back