Shower tray riser kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the riser kits for shower trays with the threaded bar that screws in to the tray any good?

Sponsored Links
This type

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-08-16-56-34-64_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-08-16-56-34-64_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 41
Sorry but there isn't such a thing as a good riser kit IMO. In all the time I've been working with showers I have never found one that works properly for any length of time. They all seems to leak/crack eventually.

Build a sturdy, level wooden plinth with an 18mm top and lock it to the floor/wall.

Sponsored Links
Can you put them on a plythn and sand and cement if they have holes in for threaded bar like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-10-08-17-46-09_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-10-08-17-46-09_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 63
Not an issue ... stone resin with a nice flat base ... I wouldn't even use sand and cement. A good strong base then a good strong adhesive would work fine.

Some only use S&C, some use a flexi tile adhesive, I've used a good strong silicone adhesive when suitable without issue - depends on the warranty too and if that's to be maintained.

Thanks but if I used the riser kit. Would you spread the weight of the legs with some 4/1 timber under the shower legs?

I know the 4x2 is probably best. But I'm thinking of speed it's a rental accommodation and by boss is pestering my for how long the job will take

Would be like that

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-11-21-57-41-16_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-11-21-57-41-16_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 21
Nope, wouldn't use a riser kit at all.

The primary reason is because riser kits create point loading, whereby all the weight that the tray and floor has to bear is focused on 4 small points both on the tray and the floor. That lends itself to creating instability and movement which are the 2 ley areas that can cause problems longer term when it comes to tray movement and subsequent seals being breached and then allow water to leak into walls and into floors.

It can also cause stress cracking in the tray over time

Tray are always best laid flat with the weight distributed over the whole area.

Not an issue ... stone resin with a nice flat base ... I wouldn't even use sand and cement. A good strong base then a good strong adhesive would work fine.

Some only use S&C, some use a flexi tile adhesive, I've used a good strong silicone adhesive when suitable without issue - depends on the warranty too and if that's to be maintained.
Not an issue as the hole for the threaded bolts doesn't effect the soundness of the tray..

Leave the front back about 10mm to stick some plastic on to cover the 4x2. What about leaving it so the trap is accessible without smashing all the panelling off at the bottom. The tray will have two edges open to the room so need panelling

Leave the front back about 10mm to stick some plastic on to cover the 4x2. What about leaving it so the trap is accessible without smashing all the panelling off at the bottom. The tray will have two edges open to the room so need panelling
Is that correct?

Yes, you can recess the wood slightly so you can use plastic trim or tiles to fit into the space and leave a gap in the wood to get access to the trap as the top will span over the gap. Use either capped screws or small dab of silicone to attach the trim/tile at the access point so it can be easily removed.

Thanks the issue would be it's a tray in the corner of the room so I would need to put two trims on. And likely a bit to cover the corner were the two trims meet. So I would have to remove that to remove the panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back