Shower tray screw in legs

Sponsored Links
Like that

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-12-19-15-58-33_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-12-19-15-58-33_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 47
I've never come across any riser kits that are any good long term. Nice solid 18mm topped wooden plinth every time for me.

Sponsored Links
If the base is flat, you could use a solid plinth, but you would have to cut the area where the waste is to make allowances for fitting.
The thickness/height of the plinth would have to be whatever size is suitable to raise it enough to fit the waste equipment.
(Don't forget, you may need to access the waste system at some future date for repairs or something, so make sure you leave enough room to gain access.

The trouble with riser kits is the legs, they are the weak point. If the tray is going to move is because of the legs, they also create point loading which is never good, especially on a wooden/floating floor. Also long term they can cause cracks in ABS /acrylic trays but may not be as bad when it comes to stone resin but even still I'd never use them.

If a tray need to be raised to handle the waste etc then a CLS frame levelled and screwed to the floor with an 18mm WBP/OSB3 top is always my approach, then tanked, hasn't failed me yet.

What happens in the long term for stone resin- any experience?
I guess long term will be reliant on use and weight and floor type.

I find the problem with risers, especially on floating floors, is that the legs move due to the point loading, that then means over time that the wall/tile seal can be compromised. Added to that, due to the same point loading but on the tray itself, if it is being used a lot with a more heavier user then the tray can actually crack. Seen that a few times too.

Any tray, in my experience, should always be supported over the majority of it's footprint, that will minimise any longer term issues of cracking or seal problems

I guess long term will be reliant on use and weight and floor type.

I find the problem with risers, especially on floating floors, is that the legs move due to the point loading, that then means over time that the wall/tile seal can be compromised. Added to that, due to the same point loading but on the tray itself, if it is being used a lot with a more heavier user then the tray can actually crack. Seen that a few times too.

Any tray, in my experience, should always be supported over the majority of it's footprint, that will minimise any longer term issues of cracking or seal problems
Interesting. You’d just assume they’d engineer them so they have enough legs to sustain the integrity of the tray over time. Reason for asking is that I’ve just installed a resin tray on a legs kit. 5 legs for 900 by 900 tray. I reinforced the middle section of flooring (floorboards underneath). Seems rock solid now- will have to see how we get on I guess. Luckily none of us who will be using it are units….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back