Shower tray sealed after enclosure installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had a quadrant shower enclosure installed which is leaking from the corner (which presents as a damp patch on the wall).

It turns out that the enclosure was installed prior to the shower tray being sealed to the tiles which I assume is the issue.

The fitter added some extra silicone to the inside and outside of the enclosure claiming that would work and I'll test it tomorrow but even if it appears to stop the current issue, is this setup going to risk further leaks down the line? My instinct is to insist that the enclosure is dismantled, the tray sealed properly, and then the enclosure reinstalled, but I don't know if this would be unreasonable.

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Probably haven’t put some silicone at the bottom behind the profile of the enclosure, I’ve done it this way many times, but I do prefer and always try to silicone the tray one day and the next fit the screen or enclosure

Jams/profile should be sealed at base where it meets the wall and after enclosure fitted sealed only on out side according to most manufacturer instructions.
If the enclosure is framed the frame needs to let any moisture run back into tray as joints on screens are not sealed. Sealing on inside and outside will cause issues I can guarantee especially if jam not sealed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. As I said I'll insist on having the enclosure dismantled and the tray sealed fully. I downloaded the instructions and you're right that they say to deal on the outside only - but they did seal inside and I think also bedded the enclosure onto a bed of silicone.

I suppose my main concern now is whether the job is salvageable since I know silicone can be really hard to remove :(

Think I've discovered another issue, surely these wall profiles have been installed the wrong way round and the screw part should be on the inside? Especially since the instructions say only to seal on the outside, but you couldn't do that with the way mine has been done...

Attachments

• 20210520_171032.jpg
    20210520_171032.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 165
Defiantly should be on the inside, I’ve installed literally hundreds of enclosures and screens and never had one where the screws are on the outside

Defiantly should be on the inside, I’ve installed literally hundreds of enclosures and screens and never had one where the screws are on the outside

Yep you're right, and I guess correcting the issue is going to leave drill holes exposed on the outside...

Yep you're right, and I guess correcting the issue is going to leave drill holes exposed on the outside...

you may get lucky, and the profile will cover them, but the enclosure might then be to far back/forward and look stupid against the tray, personally I’d be getting them panels and the enclosure replaced due to holes in the enclosure that have been drilled

you may get lucky, and the profile will cover them, but the enclosure might then be to far back/forward and look stupid against the tray, personally I’d be getting them panels and the enclosure replaced due to holes in the enclosure that have been drilled

Yeah the tray can't be moved forward and as you say, the enclosure would have exposed holes on the outside too, I hadn't even thought of that.

If the Fibo panels are removed/replaced, will that rip the plasterboard with it? I.e. would the plasterboard need replacing too? I guess that will also have holes in it so it will.

Oh dear, looks like you've been exposed to a rough bathroom installer ..... or did he call himself a plumber?
This is exactly why I believe that plumbers or installers shouldn't be able to call themselves such until they have certain qualifications. I'm not suggesting that will stop instances of this type of thing but may deter some who think they can just call themselves plumbers, rock up and do crap like that, charge a fortune and then think it's ok.

OK, off me soapbox :sneaky:

Both the wall plate and the enclosure should have their fixings on the inside. That's why those plates are like that, so the wall plate can be slotted onto the end of the enclosure and then the enclosure slid in and then the holes drilled and screwed. That also needs the tray edge to be in the correct position to start with though so the enclosure sits properly on the tray edge but the plate should sits up to the corner of the wall. Is there enough tray edge for the wall plates to be turned around and still have the enclosure sit properly on the edge of the tray? If so, doing that would cover the screw holes already drilled. Does the outside edge of the tray sit in line with the outside line of the enclosure?

Last edited:
Oh dear, looks like you've been exposed to a rough bathroom installer ..... or did he call himself a plumber?
This is exactly why I believe that plumbers or installers shouldn't be able to call themselves such until they have certain qualifications. I'm not suggesting that will stop instances of this type of thing but may deter some who think they can just call themselves plumbers, rock up and do crap like that, charge a fortune and then think it's ok.

OK, off me soapbox :sneaky:

Both the wall plate and the enclosure should have their fixings on the inside. That's why those plates are like that, so the wall plate can be slotted onto the end of the enclosure and then the enclosure slid in and then the holes drilled and screwed. That also needs the tray edge to be in the correct position to start with though so the enclosure sits in the centre of the tray edge and the plate sits up to the corner of the wall. Is there enough tray edge for the wall plates to be turned around and still have the enclosure sit in the centre of the edge?

Totally agree with you.

So I'm not sure if I understood your question but there's definitely no scope for the holes that have been drilled into shower panels being covered up by the frame if the profiles were reversed. I've attached a pic for reference (ignore the floor, being replaced when this is sorted!)

Attachments

• 20210521_101408.jpg
    20210521_101408.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 114
Apologies, didn't spot the quadrant comment ... doh .... :whistle: I looked at the pic and presumed it was a 3 sided enclosure.

Is the screen enclosure running out towards the edge of the tray as it heads towards the wall? It doesn't look like it's running parallel to the edge of the tray?

As suggested, it really does need sorting properly. Pulling the panel(s) off the wall could take bits of the plasterboard too, depending on how much they fixing they used.

Apologies, didn't spot the quadrant comment ... doh .... :whistle: I looked at the pic and presumed it was a 3 sided enclosure.

Is the screen enclosure running out towards the edge of the tray as it heads towards the wall? It doesn't look like it's running parallel to the edge of the tray?

As suggested, it really does need sorting properly. Pulling the panel(s) off the wall could take bits of the plasterboard too, depending on how much they fixing they used.

Yes the gap between the enclosure and the edge of the tray isn't even. I wondered whether the wall profiles being the wrong way round was the cause of that or if it was a separate error.

As well as the panels being replaced I think I'll insist on having a new enclosure. There is SO much silicone on the inside of it (and I appreciate there should be none) which I don't think can fully be removed without scratches. I did think the enclosure will have visible holes if the profiles are reversed but I guess they would be covered actually.

I mean my gut is that they won't play ball with replacing the panels etc and I'll have to terminate the contract (which I'd prefer honestly as I have no faith they'll rectify it properly) but we'll see.

He's accepted the profiles are the wrong way around (not that it could be denied) and agreed to take down the enclosure and replace it with a new one.

But he's trying to fob off my concern about exposed holes in the panels by saying that they can add some kind of trim to cover them. My gut response is that (a) that will look naff and (b) it might not be flush to the panel because the bead of silicone down the outer edge of the enclosure would lift it slightly. It just sounds like a bodge solution to me.

He said 'we really don't want to be taking off the panels' which I'm sure is true but this wasn't my mistake and we're correcting an allegedly professional job here, not a DIY mess...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back