Shower Tray/Waste Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just a quick one.

I want to install this shower tray https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-f...00-x-760mm-0-upstands-with-waste-101403-28158

Will be done by a plumber but I just wanted to double check something in terms of the waste install.

Can I call them to fit the waste trap and pipe work and then re board with 18mm ply then no more ply and leave a cut out for the waste.

Will they then be be able to come back and install the shower and attached the waste to it from above?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5081.PNG
    IMG_5081.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
You can in theory do that but it'll cost you (if you can find anyone interested in 2 fiddly little jobs).
Realistic choice is do the whole thing yourself (none of it is difficult, outside access to the stack pipe is the only tricky bit) or get someone to do the whole thing.
Other problem with your plan- any issues with the waste (leaks, not draining properly) will get bounced straight back to you for messing something up while doing the boarding.

Hi thanks for the reply

I have someone who will do the work just wanted to confirm that the shower tray can be fitted that way within the waste being attached from the top, is that an acceptable method.

Yeah that's the normal deal, it's handy if you can get an arm under the boards to hold the trap etc while fixing the top bit but not critical. If you were DIYing it and hit problems, the easiest way out is cut an access hole in the ceiling below (less of an option on a ground floor job of course) :)

Sponsored Links
The other thing you need to watch for is where the waste pipe will be running, as you draw the waste up to meet the underside of the shower the waste pipe and the compression nut/connection will rise with it. Ideally the waste pipe drops down pretty quickly after exiting the trap. Initially though that'll all need clearance. Usually there's a larger circle cut in the board to accommodate the larger diameter of the shower trap and then a square slot to accommodate the plastic nut and pipe tail, more so if it's a 90mm waste.

Hi, to do it would mean plumber would need to know exact dimensions of where shower waste hole is in your tray. To do that he would need tray in place, usually you would fit tray & waste & board out your floor around this.

usually you would fit tray & waste & board out your floor around this
I think the OP means the boarding that will be under the tray though I could be wrong.

@Bobbya82 ... the trap is normally secured from above once the tray is fitted. As suggested it's handy to get your hand on it from below when tightening the waste to ensure it's square on the tray but not essential but again as suggested, the fitter couldn't guarantee anything as you'd be fitting the tray. Is the tray going to be raised or can you cut an access to the side of the tray that'll allow a hand to get in?

Sorry one other question, see where the old shower waste goes into the stack, please could someone advise on the best item/part so I can plug/cap this hole off?

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back