Shower tray waste without access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a shower tray over the weekend, I'm trying to figure out how to connect the waste and trap. There are various videos on youtube which show how to bed in the tray and how to fit the trap to the tray etc. But how do you make the joints etc once the shower tray in in situ? Obviously ideally you'd have access to the space between where the connections are made via the ceiling in the room bellow. But if the ceiling bellow is already finished, what then?
The only solution I can think of would be to use some sort of flexible waste and attach it to the trap before lowing. Are there other ways??

Sponsored Links
I think its vital to be able to inspect and observe the shower waste for a while after it is commissioned.....only then can it be confidently boxed in.
Maybe you could consider raising the tray on a 4x2” timber plinth, this would give you some leeway?
Failing that, install the waste with plenty of sealant or whatever is recommended and then extending the drain fun with one piece of solvent waste drainage? Even so, disturbing the waste in any way afterwards is asking for trouble.
In my suspended timber install, I can lift floorboards nearby to give me access.
John :)

I fitted the trap first. With some careful measurement and a dry fit to check it was in the right place. There's a few mm of movement in the pipework to allow the final fit. It was a bit awkward to tighten from one side only but not impossible

Mine is over the utility room so it wouldn't be a huge deal if I need to chop open a hole for access but its been leak free.

If you can't get to the waste when the tray will be finally set down then the easiest way to do it is fit it all and line it all before the tray goes down:
  1. Ensure the waste pipe and bottom part of the trap is lined up properly to the tray outlet hole. Fit the trap to the waste pipe then place the tray down and ensure the trap lines up with the tray hole
  2. Lift the tray out again and tighten all the connections from the trap to the waste pipe and test it all for leaks
  3. Sit/bed the tray down and the trap should now be siting in place below the tray outlet hole it's then just a case of a little silicone on the seal and then securing the trap to the tray from above by the screw down waste ring that sits on the top side of the tray.

Sponsored Links
I found with mine that after I siliconed it, if I did the screws too tight it pushed all the silicone out.

I still wonder if it would be worth fitting a removable feature on the kitchen ceiling to give access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back