Shower tray wet room formers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at starting the ensuite and need a shower tray former. Lots arround at different prices. What would people recommend as the best option.

Sponsored Links
Schluter KERDI BOARD, whole system.

Wedi is also good but some variations require rabbits to showertray/wallboard interface.

Don't skimp for the sale of £40 on sealant / tape / etc.

Thanks Swwils I have found the boards but cant find any tray formers. I am looking for the kits that have a tray to falls with linear drainage gulley.

It's called KERDI line, a component based system.

If you want a preformed entire tray then elements board / wedi will be more available.

Sponsored Links
I've been looking at wet rooms and haven't been able to find much information/comparisons about the varying brands. Did you decide on one?

My decision is between Abacus and Impey. Abacus tile backer boards are insulated so provide better thermals and means there will be less condensation on the tiles. Impey's waterproof membrane has decoupling properties. The cost works out fairly similar and the trays are also fairly similar, perhaps Abacus' single fall looking slightly sleeker although Impeys circular drain hole provides fitting benefits.

I still can't decide, any one else have any suggestions?

Al

Still looking. Have seen some good reviews of the abacus single fall system so leani g towards that at the moment. A friend recently installed a Kudos system which he rated highly

Can recommend the Abacus preformed ones, though they're pricey and you end up with buckets of the blue tanking stuff. Put two in ours now, about to do a third, I've used their panels for the walls too and it fastens dead easy. Tiling over the former is tricky if you've got bigger stuff, just need to make sure the tray is really level before you tile because there's only a few degrees in it. Downstairs shower room (pic) only 1360 wide, but the other plus is you can cut them to size, so this is a 1400 trimmed. Cuts really easy with a multitool.

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_185059.jpg
    IMG_20210419_185059.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Mawo, I am leaning towards the abacus.

Am i right in thinking to give the level access "wet room" finish the tray former sits flush on the joists (with ply infills between the joists). You then ply 22mm around the former where not adjoining walls. De-bonding layer on top of the ply then brings the floor level with the tray former ready for tiles?

Do you need the wall panels or can it abut tile backer board? 1 of the walls it will join is a plastered wall so i will just tank that but the end wall is a new stud partition so i need some form of board on that.

Some systems specify a rabbit in the shower tray for the wall boards to sit in and create a mechanical joint, some just allow butt joints with a dedicated tape and sealer, others both.

Take time to get the boards flat, level and square and it will making tiling much easier.

That's exactly it - I'll attach a few build pics. We've got the Abacus boards on the walls downstairs but the former with abacus on the floor (walk in shower) and then hardi on the walls upstairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-224751.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-224751.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20211130-084133.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-084133.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20211130-084228.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-084228.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20211130-084317.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-084317.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Perfect thanks. Good to know i can use the tray former with ply and normal tile backer board and it doesn't need to all be from the same system.

I think my mind is now made up

In the above, we have 18mm ply on the floor, I think the former was 30mm deep, so 18 ply + 12 abacus board on the floor meant a level floor.

Spot on. Do you board the walls then push the former against or board down onto the tray? Is one method better than the other?

is the one to watch. Did it the same way and have had no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back