Shower trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been asked before, but bare with me.

A family member had a full re-wire done just less than a year ago, and at the time she did not have a shower. The sparks put in a feed to the shower and left it at the DP iso in the boiler cubord. A few months after this a plumber put in the shower and all is fine. However as of several weeks ago the MCB (32amp) keeps tripping when the shower is not in use...

As it does not trip when the shower is in use, I don't think it's an overcurrent fault more like a loose wire. What do you guys think?

I believe the shower is 6.1Kw, but i've not had a chance to look at anything properly yet.

Sponsored Links
Well, the shower wont be 6.1KW. It will be somewhat more than that.

7.5KW is probably the smallest these days.

Anyway. That 32A thing that keeps tripping. Is it an MCB, or could it be an RCBO? Does it have a test button on it?
This may help you

Does the device trip with the DP switch off?

It's defiantly an MCB. Nothing else trips in the CU either.

Kinda silly posting without all the info but I thought this might be a common problem.

Someone posted a similar problem a while ago, 32a seems a little low for a shower, unless it is a 7.5kw.

Does it trip shortly after showering?

Sponsored Links
Someone posted a similar problem a while ago, 32a seems a little low for a shower, unless it is a 7.5kw.

That is what she said actually, usually just after showering.

I was planning on doing a visual check on all the connections and replacing the MCB with a 40. But is that an unnecessary cost? Also is that notifiable?

That is what she said actually, usually just after showering.

I was planning on doing a visual check on all the connections and replacing the MCB with a 40. But is that an unnecessary cost? Also is that notifiable?

:!: :!: DO NOT change the MCB for a 40A. It could cause a fire. :!: :!:

I was not going to change anything until I see whats going on...

And how could it cause a fire? Some showers do need a 40amp MCB

And how could it cause a fire? Some showers do need a 40amp MCB
Because the cable may melt if it is not up to the job of handling 40A.

That is the purpose of the MCB - to ensure excessive current does not pass through the cable - it is not there to protect the shower.

First the fact that you have (at least) a 6mm cable run from the CU to the shower.....needs to be confirmed.

Then the shower model and rating.

I'm afraid until you can supply these facts, we can not advise any further.

I was more intrigued that she invited us to BARE with her when she went for a shower!

I was more intrigued that she invited us to BARE with her when she went for a shower!

Okay so my spelling is not good ><

Also I prefer to be called a he ;)

I was told it was 10mm t&e which is more than capable of taking 40amp. But I need to confirm this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back