Shower wall panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used PVC shower wall panels. A customer has expressed a preference for panels rather than tiles. They would also like a folding shower chair but I don't know if PVC panels would be strong enough. I do know that panels are available with WBP ply cores but I'm trying to keep the costs down. Any info would be much appreciated.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pvc-shower-panels.541221/#ixzz6HD2F0xH9

Sponsored Links
Only thing that would carry a fold down chair is either thick CLS battens in the wall or a solid wall to fix into. No other wall type will carry a chair that an adult will be sitting on.

If you have good walls, then a chair can be mounted through the panel. You can also use 10mm PVC if you wish to keep costs down. They are thin enough to allow wall fixing of furniture, and are waterproof.

I wouldn't fix anything heavy to the cheap PVC panels - most of them are hollow core and will collapse inwards when pressure is applied. Go for something like Multipanel, which is made from plywood.

Sponsored Links
these panels are well adequate for lots of situations, and the only sound solution to other situations.
they usually come with moulded-in soap dishes etc.
dont ever fix and "hang" any kind of fixture or device to them unless you are, as advised above, fixing thro the panels into a solid background.

when i worked in timber framing we would use 2 x 6 or even 2 x 8's & ply stiffener's for studding out the bathroom wet walls where disability chairs etc were to be fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back