Shower wall recessed storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure whether this goes to tiling or plastering...

Getting my bathroom done starting next Monday. My wife wanted a wall recessed storage for the shower area but I thought we needed to increase the depth of the wall to do that. Looking at the net I now realise that plaster walls 100mm thick and there are "ready-made" recessed unit for sell. Looking at the pictures it "only" involves cutting an aperture on the plaster and stick this unit onto the wall, then waterproof the joint (plus probably a bit of noggins to help support it). Are these made with waterproof tile backer board (like Kerdi-Board)? Is there any reason why it can't be DIYed by my plumber? I haven't spoken to him yet but I'm one of those people who like to know a bit about the subject so I won't get conned...

Thanks.

Adrian

Same company, different name:
http://www.bathroomdorset.co.uk/www....p=7&cat=228153
http://www.comfortbathrooms.co.uk/we...cessed-storage

Sponsored Links
So knowing a bit makes you able to tell if your plumber is conning you?
Why are you using him if you do not trust him?

I guess I don't quite mean that. Maybe it should read I'm a control freak and I like to know what he is doing and why he's doing it that way. Afterall I'm spending almost 5k on the room, I want it done properly and make sure it will last.

Googling the subject a bit more, it seems that's exactly what people do. Make the recess with waterproof board and waterproof it again. The wall in question needs a new plasterboard anyway so I might ask him to do just that...

Adrian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back