Shower waste help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

When i bought my house 8 months ago i ripped out the original bathroom and fitted a new bath with a power shower (2 bar pumped) which i must say is awesome! However...ive always had issues with my drainage.

Basically i replaced all the old waste pipes but did not alter the route or angle, and now am unsure whether i simply have too much flow for the drain to cope with, or whether i can adjust angles / add a vent etc to improve things.

Right...the drain is a standard bath 50mm plug which is connected to a 40mm trap. Then (and proetty much horizontally) a waste piupe is connected from the trap, goes through the wall outside and is connected to a 40mm 90 deg elbow. There is then a pipe with a shallow drop going into the drain. Overall id estimate the length is about 2 metres. I also get a lot of slurping / garging noise coming from the bath overflow when i either drain the bath or have the shower on fairly powerful.

My shower pump states it can deliver 25 ltrs per minute. The feed to the shower is via 2 x 22mm tubes to a mixer. The flowrate is incredibly good, but usually i end up standing in a pool of water when i have a shower! This is with the shower on about 30% power.

Oh yeah...also ive checked and cleaned ALL my waste pipe out last week. Also this has been a bit of an issue ive been living with since i put the bath in.

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Wsate cannot handle the flow, it's running full bore hence the gurgling as some air gets sucked it behind the water. I'd try getting as much fall as possible on the pipe, and swap the elbow for a swept bend or 2x 45deg bends to help the flow rate.

If that shower was over a tray you would fit 2'' pipework. Over a bath with your setup its not got much chance - oh and its already vented through the overflow if you think about it.

Sponsored Links
Hey!

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well i fitted 2 x 45deg adaptors and also a new trap. This kind og helped, but over the past few days am still faced with the same problem.

Anyway today i thought id do a little test. I thought id remove the grate on the trap to see if the actual waste pipe was backing up, or water was backing up because of the grate being a restriction. Anyway the waste pipe is working beautifully. The chrome grate is whats causing the issue. So i sent and bought a high flow bath trap and just fitted it. Now goign to try the shower and see. The grate is different and hopefully is less of a restriction.

My next opetion will be to add flow restrictors. Dont get me wrong, i love the power, but there is waaay too much flow. If i can toggle it just right i should be able to 'balance' the whole thing.

Can i buy 22mm valves and connect them into my shower feeds? Does this need to be on inlet or outlet side of my pump?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back