Shower Waste joints not accessible ?

Sponsored Links
Shame you can't arrange a tanked route to outside - but with modern technology could you install a (cheap but effective ) borescope with the lead somewhere discreet , ready to plug into your phone ?

How about a moisture sensor under the floor if its not too late to fit, could give you of advanced warning of time to move:ROFLMAO:

Thanks - Yes, I'd consider that. It would I suppose need to be fitted directly beneath the last elbow joints.
I haven't a clue what it looks like. Can you suggest one, where I would get it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of flooring are you installing, tiles, lino etc.

Fit the waste, test for leaks then forget about it. There are loads of instances where you can't inspect things once the works are complete.

Last edited:
Shame you can't arrange a tanked route to outside - but with modern technology could you install a (cheap but effective ) borescope with the lead somewhere discreet , ready to plug into your phone ?

I was thinking just that when I was out for a walk. Aldi had one for £30+ a while ago, Amazon with colour display £40+, just needs a 10mm hole with a discrete cover plug. That gets removed periodically and the scope poked down for a look.
Thanks for this.

I wouldn't be trying to glue the compression joints up.
How about this little puppy?https://www.betterbathrooms.com/p/9...6Dp58guOQD8rfbTtNKqsWftJmhxvu10RoCql0QAvD_BwE

(there are more, all i did was Google 'solvent weld shower trap')

Thanks, looks good. But I already had an alternative freebie supplied with the shower tray and put that aside for this McAlpine because it was deemed better by the trade guys. It has a very low, flush grille that doesn't protrude and get trodden on or tripped over. My trap grille is just inside the shower door, not at the back. Thanks for the tip, I'll look more at similar ones.

Fit the waste, test for leaks then forget about it. There are loads of instances where you can't inspect things once the works are complete.

Thanks, that's true, I'm leaning heavily that way. I will take lots of photos, measure up, draw and keep for reference where everything is. I could even cut a lid in the plywood, screwed and silicone sealed beneath the tiles; a particular tile could then be lifted if ever necessary, they are 300 x 300mm. I could also drill a 10-12 mm hole with a discrete matching cover plug close to the tray to put the scope down for inspection now and then?

>> AND ..... on the balanced risk approach - I have a house with loads of Wavin Hep2o (the plumber swears by it) hidden away that has a supposed 50 year guarantee - all relying on a rubber O ring seal not failing. And that's all under pressure. I'm not so confident, but no failures that I know of so far.

So maybe my shower waste risk is on balance, with all the wise precautions, quite small.
Many thanks

Last edited:
There is a very good discussion on this solvent weld trap dilemma here.
https://community.screwfix.com/threads/solvent-weld-shower-trap.76530/

And as pointed out there, nobody seems to know of a completely S/W trap that doesn't have at least the final connection as compression, although in the case of the McAlpine (photo below) it is a square section rubber seal with a hard location on a shoulder, not the tapered section type that slide along into position.

This is the same as the trap that I already have, but with the swivel elbow double compression replaced in this S/W version with a S/W socket, but still with the final joint in compression.

>> It looks like with all the best will, it will always be at least the last joint in compression.

> I'm always open to any further updates.
Thanks everyone

McAlpine_SWTrap.png

You really are overthinking this. Good quality compression waste fittings are perfectly fine in this situation.

Thanks, and I appreciate your view on this, that's why I like this forum and generally get good advice. But I am at least thinking it through, and asking you guys who do know better, to try and avoid some of the poor work out there - and a leaky floor.

Thanks again, much appreciated. I can at least get this done now with more confidence in it.
All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back