Shower waste leaking - best way to fix it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My shower base upstairs has started leaking into the kitchen downstairs. It's part of a 'en-suite' so not our main bathroom so not a major panic but I would like to get it fixed if possible.

To test which part of the shower was leaking I 'circled' the plug with kitchen roll and poured water directly into the plug hole and it leaks. Therefore I know that the leak is somewhere along the waste pipe. It is leaking down behind the wall and under the skirting and coming out on the kitchen floor.

The position of the leak seems to indicate that it is leaking nearer the plug rather than towards the end of the waste pipe.

Here are some pics of the shower base:

I just wondered (probably hoping against hope!) if there was a way of potentially sorting this issue without removing tiles and getting underneath the shower base?

I'm not a plumber by any stretch but I'm a competent DIY'er and so just wanted some advice on how the guys / gals in the trade (or with more experience) would go about this job?

Many thanks for all your help

Cheers

John :D

Sponsored Links
Gasguru

That seems like a genius idea and terrifying both in equal measures!

Please excuse my ignorance but if I cut away a section of the kitchen ceiling plasterboard what would I be expecting to see? Obviously there would be the joists that the plasterboard fixes to but would I also see the underside of the shower tray? Or would that be on top of floorboards or something?

(again - please excuse my ignorance) but what I'm saying is that I would hate to cut away the ceiling only to find the bottom of some floorboards if you get my drift.

Thanks for your continued help.

Cheers

John ;)

Sponsored Links
Terry

Thanks for the info.

So, I'm guessing the best way to remove the plaster board is to try and identify a joist and then cut a square/rectangle from the middle of one joist to the middle of another? (with a stanley knife??)

Am I also correct in assuming that (if the piece comes off without too much damage) I could just 'glue' the piece back up and then plaster over the 'cut marks' ?

It's just that the glory of repairing the shower will be lost on the present Mrs T. if she then has a big hole in her kitchen ceiling... :)

Women do seem to struggle with the break a few eggs to make an omelette approach.

You could try cutting along the centre of the joist once you have located them, or cut a hole, then use two bits of 2x1 slightly longer than the hole

Screw through the plasterboard into the 2x1 on two sides of the whole. Making sure that the screw heads are beneath the ceiling surface

You now have something to refix the peice you took out, fill with filler and paint

You might need a bit of jointing tape

Cut a section out with a dry wall knife.
But obviously do the measuring first that you know you have the right spot.
Fix the leak and cut the hole square. Then fit a few noggins to support the edges, fit a new section of plaster board and finish off with gyproc promix finish or similar.

You could leave it as a permanent access point if its close to the trap.

Pull off the grid in the centre of the waste outlet.

You will now see four indents on the perimeter of the outlet.

Unscrew the centre and remove using these slots, check the rubber
washer under the base of the tray, you will probably find that water is getting
past this.

Clean up the washer or replace if it is perished, make sure all is clean under the
rim and between the trap flange and the underside of the tray.

Reassemble and make sure all is watertight.

This SHOULD cure your problem. (if no cure the proceed to take down
the ceiling below)

Gasop,

I wish the Thank You button had a multiplier attached to it matey!!

I followed your advice and I'm thinking that you're right.

I pulled the waste bit off and found a load of crap in the bottom of the bend.

I managed to get most of that out with the careful use of two forks from the cutlery draw (best not to mention that bit to the wife).

I've cleaned the washer and everything I could get my hands on and put everything back. Just need to 'plunger' the standing water from the pipe (must be other things blocking it) and then hopefully it will be sorted.

Here's a few pics to hopefully help someone else in this situation (and to refresh my brain when it happens again in a years time).

Here's a selection of the trinkets I pulled out of the bend. My daughter and her fella were staying with us recently and used that room. She must have been feeding the bloody thing!

A massive thank you once again to Gasop and all the posters who chimed in with brilliant advice.

Cheers

John
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back