Shower waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..I'm going to be installing a new shower and sink upsatirs in my bungalow. There is already a toilet in another part of the upstairs, whose waste pipe connects to the soil stack within the roof void. The stack is an original (asbestos?) pipe within the building and impossible to replace. At the top of the original waste pipe is a new plastic section that allows the connection of other waste pipes.

The problem I have is that the proposed shower waste pipe will be lower than the section of the soil pipe that I can connect it to.

A friend suggested a small in line pump, that could be operated simliar to an extractor fan, i.e turned on when i the shower, that could pump the waste to the soil pipe.

Is this a viable option, and if so, can you suggest a suitable pump or manufacturer? If not, any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Would it not be easier to have a plumber extend the plastic waste section on your original stack.?

Probably a lot easier and cheaper than running with the pump idea. :D

Thats the problem. The existing extension (plastic) that was added when the original toilet was put in several years ago, is higher than the waste will be from the shower. The shower waste can go along through the existing roof joists, but would then have to go up about a foot to meet the plastic section of the soil pipe.

Thats what I meant. Extend your existing stack i.e have another section of plastic fitted lower to take your new waste pipe.

Are you sure you cannot have all the stack replaced to plastic? :D

Sponsored Links
The existing stack, which I think is concrete or asbestos, runs down through the middle of the house directly into an underground drain and then out to the road. It's completely boxed in inside the downstairs, tiled, bathroom, so would be a costly and difficult exercise to have it replaced.

The top of the existing stack is just above the joist level in the roof, so I can't make it plastic any further down.

Do you think the pump idea is an option?

Seems drastic to have a pump.
Is your bathroom above your kitchen. Maybe you could run the shower waste down the kitchen wall and round to the outside gulley. You could then box in.

You will have to take into account the nuisance factor i.e noise in your kitchen when someone is taking a shower. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back