Shower Wiring

I don't think that rising CO2 levels would 'make escape impossible' in the way you suggest. As levels rose, long before even impaired (let alone lost) consciousness occurred, there would be such a level of increasing distress and panic that, if there were any possibility of escape, one would have availed oneself of it long before unconsciousness resulted!

Kind Regards, John

Not if you are asleep :p

Sponsored Links
Reason for removing the door is if the person inside is asleep and breathing then they will use up the oxygen, reducing the volume of gases in the fridge and thus creating a pressure differential on the door making it hard to push open from the inside when (if) they wake up.
True, but, as I'm sure you know, it's a bit more complicated than 'using up the oxygen', since each molecule of oxygen used up is replaced by one molecule of carbon dioxide. However, since the molecular weight of carbon dioxide (~44) is greater than that of oxygen (~32), the carbon dioxide that replaces the oxygen will, at a given temperature and volume, exert a lower pressure than did the oxygen it replaced. Put in more 'lay' (but less accurate) terms, oxygen is removed and replaced by somewhat 'less' carbon dioxide.
I'm surprised that no-one noticed my 'deliberate mistake' yesterday! Looking back, I don't think I was thinking straight when I wrote the above. My apologies.

The different molecular weights of O2 and CO2 is irrelevant. For each mole (weighing 32g) of oxygen consumed, one mole (weighing 44g) of CO2 will be released into the environment. At a given temperature and volume there will therefore presumably be no change of pressure as a result of oxygen usage (per basic gas laws). Indeed, given the water vapour being introduced (from sweat and breath), the pressure inside the fridge might well rise a little. I therefore withdraw my agreement with Bernard :)

Kind Regards, John

I don't think that rising CO2 levels would 'make escape impossible' in the way you suggest. As levels rose, long before even impaired (let alone lost) consciousness occurred, there would be such a level of increasing distress and panic that, if there were any possibility of escape, one would have availed oneself of it long before unconsciousness resulted!
Not if you are asleep :p
I don't think there is any way that anyone would be asleep during the early stages of rising CO2 levels. Very many moons ago (in classroom experiments undoubtedly long-since banned by 'elf & safety'), I've experienced the effects modest rises in inhaled CO2 levels, and it's extremely unpleasant/ distressing! Once consciousness starts falling, things are obviously different, but that happens much later.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think a pressure rise is more likely as a result of Charles law than water vapour release
Sure, once things inside the fridge start heating up (which they obviously will) that will result in an increase in pressure. However, my point was that, even at constant temperature, if pressure inside the fridge changed at all, it would tend to be upwards (due to the water vapour), not downwards as Bernard had suggested.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back