Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to fit a 10.5kw electric shower using 10mm twin & earth, the total distance of wiring is approx. 10 metres including via the 45amp pull switch, is a 40amp fuse rating on the consumer unit adequate :?:

Sponsored Links
No, you would be looking at a device rated at 45A, but if you do not know this, then no offence, but I'd question your ability to do this work safely, its the fact that you probably do not know how much you *don't* know...

Sorry, but I'm going to recommend you have an electrician do this work, you should aslo know its notifiable under part p of the building regulations...

Depending how the cable is run did you realize that a 10mm t&e cable is not capable of carrying 50A of current and therefore a 50 A MCB is not suitable (ie under-rated) for protecting this cable?

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
you should aslo know its notifiable under part p of the building regulations...
Just before you get your coat, check the poster's location... ;)

Hillfold said:
Ok thanks again, point taken , I`ll go for a 45amp mcb.
And what if you can't get one for your board?

You`re right, I can`t get a 45a mcb for my Consumer unit, but I can get a 50a. If I use the 50a mcb protected by the rcd is this ok :confused:

A shower is classed as a fixed load, and as such, cant overload the cable if the cable is rated for the shower. You may design the circuit around the load of the shower, and could protect it with a higher amp OCPD. Reason being, the OCPD will protect the cable against short circuit type faults, and the shower will limit the current drawn - it can't physically overload the cable.

Still always best to design a circuit so that the OCPD is below the current rating of the installed cable, and just above the current rating of the served appliance.

Just a niggle - still best to make sure the 10mm will be able to carry the full load of the mcb, but not essential!

LECTRICIAN Thanks for your detailed reply but I can`t make out if you agree with my thoughts or not :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back