advise me on shower wiring please

When you say just moved in have you bought it/ buying it?

When you sell a proprty in Scotland doesn't the person selling have to provide survey work of some kind and does this include electrical work?

If you're renting I suggest you get in touch with your lanlord to make sure an electrician is called in to make it safe and comliant with the regs.

This needs a PIR in my mind there are some unsafe condidtions on this installation that need rectifying. At least there's a spare place you could put another B6 MCB in for the lighting. I do not know how much knowledge you have but are the two wires going into the B32 different sizes, are you able to safely find out what the sizes of the conductors are, It appears you have a Radial circuit and lighting circuit off this but as I've said previous it's a guess work.

Sponsored Links
i am renting from my local council.............the 2 wires going into the sockets and lights mcb look identical in size...............as far as i'm aware the house has been partially rewired...........as for my knowledge, i'm not to clued up on electrics.........but i understand some bits.

may be its different with your council but they dont like none qualified people missing with them electrics mate. Give them a call get the out. as long as its safe to do so turn of each fuse off then on until you find the one supplying the lights if its the 32amp fuse phone them straight away.

i turned all the lights on..........flicked the 32amp mcb marked sockets and lights................every light and every socket went off.

Sponsored Links
kenny1 said:
i turned all the lights on..........flicked the 32amp mcb marked sockets and lights................every light and every socket went off.

Call the council and tell them that. And quote the advice from here that 1mm² or 1.5mm² lighting cable is a potential hazard when fed from a 32 amp breaker.

will it be safe over the weekend.........and how do i find out what size the cable is? even if the cables bigger than 1.5mm2 is it ok to have 2 wires from it?

It is not safe to feed a standard lighting circuit directly from a 32A breaker. Chances are the lamp holders and cable will not be rated high enough for this, although it could simply be that someone has done something daft like fed the lights from a fused spur?? The best advice is to have an electrician take a look.

But prob not council spark that did it. Was prob the last tenent that thought it was ok messing with the electrics. Got to love DIYers.

As for the original question, I believe that 6mm² is fine to feed an 8.5kW shower, providing the circuit run is not huge & there are NO other factors involved, ie cable in insulation etc...

However, for more than 8.5, 10mm² is a minimum.

If property is rented there should be a Periodic Inspection Report carried out on change of tenancy.
It's the landlords responsibilty.
This would pick up such things as lighting cct being on same cct as ring main.

Did anyone else notice that the NS heaters have RCD protection.. OK if it's a TT supply, but otherwise surely it would be better with an isolator??

nozspark said:
Did anyone else notice that the NS heaters have RCD protection.. OK if it's a TT supply, but otherwise surely it would be better with an isolator??

Probably something the council specified, for when the junkie who ****es on his hands and then licks his fingers tries to reset and overheat cutout....

Got to aim for the lowest common denominator where council housing is concerned...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back