Advice on shower fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised by an electrician (or claims to be) that if fitting a 8.5kw shower I require 6mm cable and a 45amp breaker.

My understanding from research, is that it should in fact be 10mm cable and a 40amp breaker. The cable run is through a loft and down inside a cupboard and approx over 7metres.

Any advise to confirm which is right..?

Sponsored Links
40A OK for 8.5.

May as well go for 10mm² - then if you want to upgrade, you don't have to replace the cable.

May as well mention Part P...unless you are north of the border.

45 A breaker, i would always use 10mm cable, the cable rating has to be able to take the load from a mcb.
In other words if you put a 7 Kw shower on a 50A mcb the cable sould be able to take the load the mcb may pass- someone may change shower for one of a higher rating at a later date.

You could get away with (maybe subject to site conditions) a 6mm cable and a 40A mbc, but just don't do it. That will 'future proof' the install.

Surely to future-proof it, you should use a 50A breaker with 10 mm² cable and everything else to match.

Sponsored Links
shaw7380 said:
I have been advised by an electrician (or claims to be) that if fitting a 8.5kw shower I require 6mm cable and a 45amp breaker.

My understanding from research, is that it should in fact be 10mm cable and a 40amp breaker. The cable run is through a loft and down inside a cupboard and approx over 7metres.

Any advise to confirm which is right..?
Bit of each, really - 6mm² cable is OK for an 8.5kW shower, but not with a 45A breaker - that might be a bit high for the cable given where it runs, and anyway 40A will be fine for the load of the shower.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81696#81696

But as said by the others - if you are putting in a new cable, use 10mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back