advise me on shower wiring please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone. i'm hoping someone here can advise me on shower wiring.
i have a 8.5kw shower, my cabling says 2x6+2.5 on it......i take it thats 6mmsq cable???

it will be running from a wylex cu with rcd main switch = 80A 30mA
with a nsb40 40amp mcb.

am i correct in thinking the 40 amp mcb is enough? i think it is as 8.5kw=8500 / 230v = 36.9.

i have ran the cable from the 40amp mcb into a 45amp double pole switch then from there continued on into the shower. i am a bit concerned as the cable seems to heat mildly after about 5 mins of the shower running.

thanks.

+++++++++
Moderator's note:
I have changed the thread title to make it meaningful.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to run a 10mm cable in, for future installs if nothing else.
I'd also recommend you have RCD protection :)

Cable will get warm.

6mm2 cable of say 10 m length will give a volt drop of ~3 volts and at 37A will dissipate 110 watts in heat.

Bigjon OP has 80A 30mA RCD mainswitch

Sponsored Links
the cable run is about 9 metres, and goes along the wall in plastic trunking. it also goes through 2 plasterboard walls.

also is it safe to change over these mcb's???

here are pics to help.

i want to change the b32 for the b40............in the pics the b32 is the one on the left.

my cu-
DSCF2985.jpg

in this pic i have put the b40 in place where the b32 was-
DSCF2986.jpg

can i swap the b32 for the b40?
DSCF2989.jpg

the b40 has the black clip
DSCF2991.jpg

DSCF2994.jpg

hope the pics help.

Why do you want to change MCBs as from pic the 40A is feeding the shower.
Or are you wanting to use 40A for cooker?

Why are the lights and ring on the same MCB

Why isn't there a blanking plate on position 8

Why are all the MCB's tilted

there was a b32 originally where the b40 is now............i took the b40 back out just now until i know if its safe to use.

Lights + sockets on one 32 amp mcb????/
Of course you have notified your LABC and payed relevent fee.????

ayen said:
Lights + sockets on one 32 amp mcb????/
Of course you have notified your LABC and payed relevent fee.????
Although Part P doesn't apply north of the border? ;)
Still agree the 32A sockets/lights needs looked into, what is the other CU for below?

But is the install being tested ? Regardless of location IEC should be produced to comply with the regs.

i've just moved into the house, everything in the cu is the way i found it.
still needing answers to my above questions.....and the cu below is for storage heating.

there are 2 cables coming out the sockets and lighting mcb......shoould it be like that?

kenny1 said:
i have a 8.5kw shower, my cabling says 2x6+2.5 on it......i take it thats 6mmsq cable??? Yes

it will be running from a wylex cu with rcd main switch = 80A 30mA
with a nsb40 40amp mcb. Yes

am i correct in thinking the 40 amp mcb is enough? i think it is as 8.5kw=8500 / 230v = 36.9. Yes

i have ran the cable from the 40amp mcb into a 45amp double pole switch then from there continued on into the shower. i am a bit concerned as the cable seems to heat mildly after about 5 mins of the shower running. See DESL first reply

thanks.

+++++++++
Moderator's note:
I have changed the thread title to make it meaningful.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++

I'd hope that Socket+lights fuse is for a Ring Final circuit which perhaps feeds some kind of lighting - maybe external via a fused spur? (Hence the + lights), but without seeing it it's pure guess work. I'd suggest you turn off the B6 fuse and check if the lighting is via this and not just a smoke alarm.

This really needs confirming.

i put every light on in the house, then turned off the b6 (smoke alarm)............every light stayed on. only the smoke alarm went off.

this is how i found the cu's when i moved in.

the mcb marked shower is empty.....can i remove it and replace it with the 40 mcb i have? oh and before i forget.......on the cu i only have one earth rail and one N rail.......is that ok?

DSCF2995.jpg

this is the cu below:
DSCF2997.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back