Showermate pump - is it fubar'd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Sounds like it's had it to me.
Anyone else think differently?

Cheers for looking.
It's only been in 3 years and the elderly customer obviously is a bit upset at the prospect of a replacement.

I didn't fit but there's no Surrey flange and hot is tapped off a fairly horizontal hot draw. Cold has its own supply from Cwsc all in 15mm plastic. Has air knackered it or maybe just lack of use as she says it's not used regularly.

Thanks,
D.

Sponsored Links
Hoe hards the water D when I lived in Lincolnshire the water was that hard everything gave up the ghost after a couple of years mate.Bob

You could close the isolation valves, and remove housing front plate to inspect around impeller (O-rings seal the plate).
Could be limescale making that racket.

Last edited:
never stripped one of these , but sounds like a bearing is dry or has water ingress, might be salvageable

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps.
Water here is so hard you can watch stalagtites grow :D... Which keeps us plumbers busy (y)

I suppose I was just wondering if it was worth the effort having a fiddle with it or if I'd be wasting my time on one of these.

Update... Customer opted for a replacement, so did that and also rearranged the hot draw from the top of the cylinder to better meet MI's. Couldn't fit a Surrey as the outlet was 3/4 not 1".

Took old pump back to my workshop and bench stripped it. All spotless inside and shaft was free spinning. Ran it with impellors and housing removed and noticed squeal on one side of the pump only.
Dismantled all of the shaft seals and bearings and reassembled with the addition of some silicone lube (which apparently is not approved by ST but who cares :LOL:).

Its not squealing any more but still a bit grindy... Have dry tested only, not wet so my interference may make it leak like a sieve :D

Looking at shower Doctor, the kit I'd need is discontinued but may still be available through pumpassist... Just toying with whether I should repair it, as who's really going to be interested in buying it off me?
Might do as a spare to keep for someone in an emergency I suppose ;)

Chuck the pump away................................just post pictures of your workshop.

Andy

Don't get all excited Andy :LOL:

It's really my dad's garage, with bits added on to the front and back, where we do our tinkering... I did have a garage but had to convert it into a bedroom for one of my boys as they are now 6 footers and can't be expected to share a bedroom :whistle:

My dad lives just round the corner and has all the time and room, I would just love to have :cry:

Update... Customer opted for a replacement, so did that and also rearranged the hot draw from the top of the cylinder to better meet MI's. Couldn't fit a Surrey as the outlet was 3/4 not 1".

Took old pump back to my workshop and bench stripped it. All spotless inside and shaft was free spinning. Ran it with impellors and housing removed and noticed squeal on one side of the pump only.
Dismantled all of the shaft seals and bearings and reassembled with the addition of some silicone lube (which apparently is not approved by ST but who cares :LOL:).

Its not squealing any more but still a bit grindy... Have dry tested only, not wet so my interference may make it leak like a sieve :D

Looking at shower Doctor, the kit I'd need is discontinued but may still be available through pumpassist... Just toying with whether I should repair it, as who's really going to be interested in buying it off me?
Might do as a spare to keep for someone in an emergency I suppose ;)
Having found nothing inside and as a bare shaft it sounds grindy that will be the bearings, to test, bolt or clamp the motor to a solid bench and run the motor at the same time use a belt or strong rope and pull the shaft to one side and listen to the tone change.
All in all I think I would scrap it tbh.

It was quiet as a bare shaft. Only grindy (or scuffy) when impeller housing is back on, so looks/sounds like the inner/outer graphite bearings.

But, yeah, I do agree with what you're both saying... Just a waste of a good motor. Should have video'd it for $hits n giggles!

If it was the more expensive monsoon variants then perhaps worth the effort to repair but for a @£150 plastic fantastic jobbie, maybe not so :D

Edit: yeah, sorry JP I reread my post above and see how I mislead about the bare shaft... I ran it before dismantling then after reassembling... Much better after. BUT... It was silent as a bare shaft :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back