Showers, RCDs, MCBs and Fuses

Sponsored Links
holmslaw, have you being sniffing glue or something?

No one has disputed the fact that a single point of isolation is required.

Why don't you try and actually read, and understand what is written, before starting a pointless argument?

Just a thought and it may be a bit barmy but could I not combine two fuse ways in parallel. In otherwords use the Henley block in reverse!! That way you would have a maximum of 60A feeding into the shower CU and not have to touch the company fuse and still have a single point of isolation!!!

The old rewireable fuseboards can only handle a max of 30amps per fuse way. So per RF's post split tails into your shower CU

Sponsored Links
Up until the the point I advised he should install a single point of isolation, nobody including you had mentioned. :D

Smarty pants :)
I'm sure it was just a case of easily missed, that's the beauty of a forum like this, collective information.
I don't for one minute think that RF et al didn't realise a single point of isolation should be installed. Probably just missed due to concentrating on the initial posting.

Just a thought and it may be a bit barmy but could I not combine two fuse ways in parallel. In otherwords use the Henley block in reverse!! That way you would have a maximum of 60A feeding into the shower CU and not have to touch the company fuse and still have a single point of isolation!!!

DON'T DO THAT!!

:oops: Thanks GaryMo - Thought that might be the answer (although a bit more polite than I thought) - but just so I fully understand - why not?
Cheers

DON'T DO THAT!!

:oops: Thanks GaryMo - Thought that might be the answer (although a bit more polite than I thought) - but just so I fully understand - why not?

Imagine pulling one fuse, you would then expect the equipment to be dead wouldn't you?

I suppose in effect it is the same as not having a single point of isolation for the CU. OK so is there a way to incorporate the switch and Henley block without removing the company fuse?

thanks

No, the DNO main fuse will need to be pulled as you'll be fitting the switch in the tails which leave the meter.

Your idea is much worse than not fitting a single point of isolation :)

This is one of the few times I can see that a DP isolator installed into the meter tails would actually be useful.

Thanks Gary,

I'm in a difficult position as in Scotland my part P qualification isn't recognised!!! So, as I am actually a plumber by trade I can only do "non notifiable" work even though I am more than capable of doing all of the work and would be considered competent to do all of my own certification in England. Isn't devolution great!!!! :evil:

Oh well never mind - thanks to everyone in the forum for all the advice

Bluewater, seriously, no offence intended but you did just suggest running parallel conductors from two 30A fuse ways to give you a 60A supply.
It's situations like this that give the 5 day wonder courses a bad name.

None taken and I agree entirely - but then half the battle is having the sense not to just do the first thing that comes into your head but ask those who know better . When I was doing the BPEC full scope course I was surprised if not shocked at how noddy it all was. Don't worry I definitely well aware of my own limitations. Hence have told my customer to get a fully qualified Electrician to sort out the CU first before I fit his shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back