Shut-off Valve Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new cloakroom sweet and before removing the old basin I've installed shut-off valves to the hot and cold water pipes.

They are both working leak free at the moment, however, I am a little worried that the hot water pipe may develop a leak due to the copper olive corroding. While I was installing the valve, a small amount of water started running out - like it'd just been released from somewhere - probably a litre or so. So while I was tightening the compression nuts, water was still gently running out. Obviously, the leak stopped when I'd tightened the nut enough. Having turned the water back on and leaving the new valves closed over night, there were no signs of leaks.

I'm hoping to build and enclosure (with access) around the pipes so that they are not on display, but I don't want to do this until I'm sure the valves are going to last.

Does anyone know the likelihood of the olives corroding or any other potential failures due to the olive/nut being wet on installation?

Thanks in advance,

Si.

Sponsored Links
How many rusty copper pipes, brass fittings, or stainless steel have you seen?

Sponsored Links
b68.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back