Shuttering and Ready mix concrete in Birmingham/West Midland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm constructing an outbuilding garage at the back of my garden.

its going to be about 6m x 5m = 30sqm

i've had the digger guy cut out the area to around 6- 8 inches deep.
Will be doing a large concrete slab with reinforced wire sheets.

Can someone recommend what shuttering size i would need and where is best to get it from in the west midlands.

and also where to get the concrete mix from, probably would have to be ready mix barrowed as the truck can get to the back of the house but not around the corner.

Where is the best prices in the midlands. any recommendations.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit over the top getting in a digger to remove whats essentially top soil and surface.

Likewise, no need for custom shutterings - use whatever is at hand ( 1x, or 2x, or ply rippings) and wood stake the forms down.

Get some batter boards, and FFL string lines, up.

Barrowing in is hard work, check distances for a possible short pump-in. Ask the concrete supplier, who will also provide the correct mix, given the details.

Provide below slab conduit for any utlities, if required.

Have you any experience of concrete work?

I know trucube concrete in smethwick will barrow it, as I got mine from them.

Mix on the wagon as much as you need

Get it pumped.

Pushing barrows is medieval.

Why are you building the structure on a reinforced raft?

Sponsored Links
Barrowing is not medieval for flooring contractors.
Many of the pros still use a barrow team. Maybe 10 or a dozen guys barrowing.

Are they retarded then.

A pump can do the job of ten men in less time, less hassle and cost a quarter of the money.

No contest.

Its all down to cost mate, with extortionate cowboy builders charging 7k+ i would rather do it this way and its quicker.

im the 2nd house up the road, i have a rear side access which cars can go up but wont be able to go around the corner, so they would only be 6 metres away, hence free barrowing, got a quote for 5m cubed 30Nm for £450 and thats ready mix barrowed.

was going to put hardcore down but no point, costs the same so would rather do a raft as its quicker, dont have to go and hire a wacker and barrow the 5 tonnes to the rear!

With egards to the digger, i needed other stuff clearing from the garden, ie re landscaped and the old cracked concrete single pad.

its just a simple outbuilding garage with single concrete block walls.

So far ive paid:

Digger+driver = £170
Grab hire =£160
Double glazed door =£40
Double glazed window = £25
Shuttering 6x2, 5.4m and 6m (x2) =£55 delivered
DPM 4x25m, 100msquare =£25
Concrete 5m cubed =£450
Galvanized electric roller shutter =£580 supplied fitted

All thats left is
Blocks and mortar
Roof, guttering etc
electrics

all in all should be well under £3k

so back to my original questino any other recommendatinos for ready mix in the midlands

Yes, well done. True DIY - get stuck-in and get on with it.

Did you remove the conifer?

Hopefully, you will keep us informed as you progress?

Yes, well done. True DIY - get stuck-in and get on with it.

Did you remove the conifer?

Hopefully, you will keep us informed as you progress?

Thanks, No not removed the one on the left, leaving that, just going to trim it down.

This is very similar to my situation. Its on your projects "replace decrepit garage with garden room "
It too was an old timber garage green in colour and with dodgy asbestos boards on it. Even got the flamin huge trees beside to deal with although there now well trimmed back.
I hand batched the concrete in a mixer wheelbarrowing the materials about 30m from the front gate. I did strip founds then block substructure filled it with rubble and a 100mm concrete floor. 4 stage pour to the foundations and 2 stage pours to the floor. Had the mixer at the side and just tipped it straight in. It will save you a lot of time although very expensive to bring the stuff ready mixed. Its going to be a lot of work to get that concrete in as it stiffens up that kind of put me off ready mix. Bit stressful for my liking.

This is very similar to my situation. Its on your projects "replace decrepit garage with garden room "
It too was an old timber garage green in colour and with dodgy asbestos boards on it. Even got the flamin huge trees beside to deal with although there now well trimmed back.
I hand batched the concrete in a mixer wheelbarrowing the materials about 30m from the front gate. I did strip founds then block substructure filled it with rubble and a 100mm concrete floor. 4 stage pour to the foundations and 2 stage pours to the floor. Had the mixer at the side and just tipped it straight in. It will save you a lot of time although very expensive to bring the stuff ready mixed. Its going to be a lot of work to get that concrete in as it stiffens up that kind of put me off ready mix. Bit stressful for my liking.

I worked it out to be cheaper for ready mix then mixing it myself.

I had the footings and floor for both my shed and downstairs wc barrowed by the lads from the concrete mixing firm. No need to strain my mixer or my back.

Unless it's a small amount, I wouldn't bother mixing myslef

Are they retarded then.

A pump can do the job of ten men in less time, less hassle and cost a quarter of the money.

No contest.

A concrete pump will cost at least £600 for the day.

Ten men barrowing on £50 quid a day is cheaper so the barrow boys win. :LOL:
Plus it creates more employment omitting the costly and troublesome machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back