Siberian Larch Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been asked to clad a house in Siberian Larch, the section size is 145mm and it's Shiplap.

Now, I have fitted cedar in the past but this on a larger scale approximately 110 square meters of it.

Is there a recognised square meterage charge for installation only, like there is for flooring tiling etc, would be helpful as I'm having a nightmare trying to price it.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if Spon's says anything (there"s probably a price in there, somewhere), but I do know that the job is best done with stainless steel fixings to avoid the inevtable rust streaks

This one is a stones throw from the English Channel, so Marine Grade Stainless Steel Screws or nails are in order, what's tripping me up is having to pilot hole regardless of screwing or nailing, it's not a wham bam nail gun job.

What size nails? The last larch I put up was nailed using 15ga (not 16ga) stainless nails, although granted it was narrow strips (1in to 5in wide) in a semi pattern

If in doubt do a sample area yourself and work out a price from that (add a fudge factor on to take into account access problems and tiredness as the day goes on). Might help you get a reasonable idea. Better to br too high and lose it than too low and work yourself to death for nowt. We all have to make a living, after all

Sponsored Links
I am labour only, I have yet to ask what fixings they are supplying. I'll show you the drawings shortly. It's quite complicated, it's a big finish with larch and it has to be bang on, I can give that finish because I am anal, but it comes with a price, hold on....

I'm looking at charging £3.5 to £4k to clad this building as per drawings. It isn't really that straight forward.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-211127.png
    Screenshot_20221106-211127.png
    546.3 KB · Views: 55
Who's fixing the support battens? What are the corner and reveal details?

What are the opening head flashing, cill flashing, top and bottom vent products?

The spec for cuts or full lengths?

Treating the reverse of the cladding and end grain? Are knots acceptable?

All rhetorical, but will affect the fitting time.

As a sub it still gives you an idea of what price to work within, though.

I'm looking at charging £3.5 to £4k to clad this building as per drawings. It isn't really that straight forward.
sounds like you are thinking of 3 or 4 weeks work?

you might be a bit light on time, it’s all off scaffold + as Woody says its all in the detailing.

if it’s got to be covered open housewrap and battened - thats a good weeks work just there.

it’s vertical, so will need counter battening.

I guarantee client / architect won’t have though about all the detailing.

are windows in before or after - are you doing reveals etc?

I’m not even sure Siberian larch is still available, Russian products are a tad scarce.

Who's fixing the support battens? What are the corner and reveal details?

What are the opening head flashing, cill flashing, top and bottom vent products?

The spec for cuts or full lengths?

Treating the reverse of the cladding and end grain? Are knots acceptable?

All rhetorical, but will

sounds like you are thinking of 3 or 4 weeks work?

you might be a bit light on time, it’s all off scaffold + as Woody says its all in the detailing.

if it’s got to be covered open housewrap and battened - thats a good weeks work just there.

it’s vertical, so will need counter battening.

I guarantee client / architect won’t have though about all the detailing.

are windows in before or after - are you doing reveals etc?
I am literally just putting the cladding on, but I am not dismissive of the work involved in putting the cladding on, I am very very anal.

The Builders are doing the OSB, then GRG, then Vapour, the double baton of 38x50mm batons all ready for my arrival "if I get it".

I doubt the windows will be in though, yes will need reveals, trims etc, I know it is very involved which is why I am discussing it with the learned people of here.

It helps to talk things through, I'm thinking three weeks start to finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back