cladding, treated rough sawn vs cedar or larch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone has any advice regarding wooden cladding?

I'm going to clad an extension, single storey, and had planned on using rough sawn pressure treated timber, something like a 6x1" board, then paint them.

I've seen on the ruby cladding website, there is quite a difference in price between cedar/larch and something like bog standard rough sawn softwood. Just wondered if anyone has used either and have any nuggets of wisdom??

TIA

Sponsored Links
rough saw can be crap full off knots warped bent it may even be mostly ok but for rough work also no tounge or groove so not waterproof
joinery quality far more stable if it is say 6"cladding the coverage will be between say 130-138mm so 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 coverage

Softwood? Give it 15 years.

How is rough sawn going to hold paint?

rough saw can be crap full off knots warped bent it may even be mostly ok but for rough work also no tounge or groove so not waterproof
joinery quality far more stable if it is say 6"cladding the coverage will be between say 130-138mm so 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 coverage
The cladding I had in mind wasn't T&G, just flat boards or possibly featheredge. I don't want it to look too modern.

Softwood? Give it 15 years.

How is rough sawn going to hold paint?
Had painted some panels made of rough sawn treated wood, in masonry paint... I know roll your eyes.:LOL: some 3 years down the line, it looks like it was painted yesterday.
Ducks back in comparison is very poor, needing another coat every year.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I'd noticed these guys on ebay, larch is not to bad price wise, although still twice the price from the rough timber costs I have.

Take on board what you are saying about waterproof etc, not a massive concerm for me, as I'm planning to paint.

Thinking cap on now.

I know roll your eyes.:LOL: some 3 years down the line, it looks like it was painted yesterday.
What's the timber like underneath covered in that sealed in layer?
Rhetorical I know, as you won't know until it has softened and rotted - and the paint coating may well still look like it was done yesterday.

What's the timber like underneath covered in that sealed in layer?
Rhetorical I know, as you won't know until it has softened and rotted - and the paint coating may well still look like it was done yesterday.
Seems solid so far. I'll review it again in another 3 years and report back.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back