Side extension advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i wanted some advice as im keen to do a side extension......

PIC ON LEFT:
F = felt flat roof - its a shower room at the back of the through lounge
P = plastic roof set on long timber lengths pinned across and down
Blue shape = my kitchen window / which i want to turn into an open door to enter the proposed side extension
G = Open drain (just behind the door thats open. so you cant actually see it. but all water goes into there. and theres a little drain guard there.

Red shapes the rectangle one and circular = man holes.
i dont even fully know what these do lol but the lids do open.
but they are there and always have been

PIC ON RIGHT:
see yellow drawing for what i want
basically want to have 2 windows just behind the door and bricks at the bottom.....
all in line with the open drain i.e. so the garden door can still open.

can i still do a side extension based on this layout?
i basically want this to be a utility area but accessible inside from inside the house - instead of having to come out the garden door

so basically you can walk in through the current blue window which can hopefully become a door. it will be for laundry dryer etc

im thinking a felt flat roof across the "new" side extension...at the moment its part felt roof (shower room) and mostly plastic sheet roof as you can see.

a sky window or 2 would be great to let some light in too.

the squared man hole will stay outside.....its the circular one im worried about as that would be inside the proposed side extension....so i may have to use vinyl instead of tiled up floor perhaps

current conservatory is small so just want to do this little side extension.
i dont want to join it up to current house i.e. put a steel beam etc.
i just want to see if its possible to do a separate side extension....that can be accessible through the current window.....

please let me know if you need any further information!

appreciate your advice to know if this is feasible

Attachments

• side extension 1.jpg
    side extension 1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It appears feasible, the drainage can probably be modified. You might have to upgrade/rebuild the existing party wall/fence and work out the junction between your new flat roof and the party wall/boundary. Look up "side return" extensions for ideas and inspiration.

i did google it but they are all fancy side extensions with bi folding doors and clear perspex roofs that sit at 45 degree angles lol

i just want to do the cheapest job possible lol

but at this stage i just wanted to see if there were any massive barriers to this

i assume planning permission is needed for this type of work too.

do you know why there are TWO man holes though? the red shapes?

i think the rectangle is the original and the circular is as a result of the shower room built around 20 years ago.....but not sure....

not even sure how i can find out? council have this information?

Sponsored Links
Probably permitted development so no planning application needed but check to be sure.

Circular manhole covers became more common in the 80's when plastic drainage took over so could well be a later addition. Lift the covers and run water in sinks, shower, toilet etc. (one at a time) and see where it comes out.

but do you know why there are 2? thats my main concern as the circular one would be "inside" the new proposed side extension

then how do you keep it accessible if its indoors i want to tile/vinyl the floor......

If it joins up to that extension on the left, it would need planning permission.

the conservatory? is that the rules?

my main concern at this stage is the man holes
do you know why there are 2? thats my main concern as the circular one would be "inside" the new proposed side extension

then how do you keep it accessible if its indoors i want to tile/vinyl the floor......

Lift them up and look in them. Could be one for rain water, one for turds. Could be two just for access to different runs on the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back