Side extension: combining PD rights and planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been searching the forum and cant find a solution so thought I would ask instead.

I have a bungalow (12m x 7m) that has never been extended or altered since built in the 1950s.
It is in the greenbelt so I am allowed to extend by 40% of the volume under planning permission.

Is it possible to do a side extension 1) half the width of the original bungalow under PD rights i.e. 6 meters and 2) 40% of the volume beyond the 6 meters i.e a further 8 meters so total = 14 meters!

Is this possible on 1 planning application?

I am on a 1 acre plot with plenty of space around me.
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I have emailed my local council planning department to see if the High Court decision Hilton v secretary of state is applicable here.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply.

I have emailed my local council planning department to see if the High Court decision Hilton v secretary of state is applicable here.

Cheers

Please let us all know how they respond.

Sponsored Links
You would have to build to completion the 6m side extension as one operation.
Once this is completed, you would then consider the enlargement of the extension.
If you did the whole lot in one go, it would not be permitted development.

Regarding your email to the council; the High Court decision will be applicable everywhere - councils will not be able to ignore it. As Garyo said, we
would be very interested to hear of your LPA's response. I suspect it unlikely that you will get a quick reply as they will probably be just as
in the dark as the rest of us.

Quite likely, the DCLG will push for new legislation to overturn the judgment as quickly as possible because it has far-reaching implications.

"If you did the whole lot in one go, it would not be permitted development." I understand why you say that, but in light of the judgment, I wonder if a court would really support that position (That said, I'm not going to find out!)

"Quite likely, the DCLG will push for new legislation to overturn the judgment as quickly as possible because it has far-reaching implications."

I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't really have a functional government at the moment.

I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't really have a functional government at the moment.

LOL! Actually I did refer to that issue in the opening post of the 'Permitted Development:Class A' thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back