Side Extension / Orangery - Overlooking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Is their any reason why on a single storey orangery build which is on the side of my home I can not put some windows?
It is looking out onto the neighbour's who also have some side windows but between my house and theirs is a private road / driveway?
J

Sponsored Links
If it's being built under permitted development - no.
If it needs planning permission, the planners may raise that as an issue.

If it's being built under permitted development - no.
If it needs planning permission, the planners may raise that as an issue.
The permitted development is a real grey area because the side elevation has already been extended twice and all I want to do is put a new extension in between the other two which will make the side elevation flush so to speak.
The width of my original house is 8m the extension is 4.8

Sponsored Links
Yeah I got that idea from a previous post but a local architect is under the impression that rule only applies if you are extending out of the existing elevation.

This is slightly confusing - can you draw & post a simple outline plan - you will get more informed responses.

Sorry, but still hard to tell.
Where are original front and side of house?

Original front door was on left side wher the downstairs toilet is.
New front door is on front.
As you look at plans garden is at top and drive is at bottom.

Under Building Regulations, you have to provide fire resistance to windows adjacent to a boundary. Obviously the further away, the better. What is the distance from the wall/windows to the boundary? That's the only thing you'd have to think about.

So where is the original wall of the house? Is it the wall that is in the study (small window) / courtyard garden (with the double swing doors)? Is the existing a 1 storey extension? What is above the lounge and entrance hall?

Below shows house originally before and after first extension
New lounge is only single storey but with high roof level.

Then since this drawing a entrance hall was added on side of play room later on.

Hope this shows what I mean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back