Side gate batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my existing wooden side gate. I also intend to replace the batten or post. This is affixed to the garage wall and is the side on which the slide bolt keeper and latch receiver sit.

There are four bolts with square heads fixing the post to the garage wall. I'm assuming they're masonry bolts (though can't be certain till I take the post down). If they are, could I use same size masonry bolts in the same holes? Do I need to put larger bolts in? Or should I create new holes?

Sponsored Links
they could also be coach bolts. going into plasplugs.

Are they yellowish?

You might find it difficult to drill two or more holes that perfectly line up with your old holes, so you can probably use one hole but need the other(s) to be new.

I would put the hinge side post against the house as it will take the weight without sagging.

As it's the garage wall, you could also use 10mm galvanised studding, which is quite cheap. You can put it right through the wall and cut to length, with a nut and large washer each end. It will not shake loose.

they could also be coach bolts. going into plasplugs.

Are they yellowish?
They've got a square head and have been painted over. I don't think the previous owners painted the wood before attaching it to the wall. I guess I really need to remove the post to be able to see.

I would put the hinge side post against the house as it will take the weight without sagging.
The hinge side is fixed to a wooden post which in turn is fixed to a concrete fence post. The fence is a featherboard fence. I was tempted by the idea of attaching new hook and band hinges onto the concrete post using some long bolts or studding. Will have a think about things.

Sponsored Links
I'm anxious about drilling into concrete posts as it might start a crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back