Side on living, it s*cks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok this is definitely a first world problem. My bungalow is detached which is great, however it sits length ways on the plot, not face on if that makes sense? So my 'front' door is at the right side of the property and my 'back' door at the left side. It's pants because when you open the back door you're immediately facing my neighbours drive, just a paths width away so not possible to erect a 6 foot fence for privacy. This basically results in me not using that door, ever. It's also rubbish because I can't do things like leave the back door open on a hot day. Well, I can, however my neighbours and anybody else visiting them would see right into my kitchen.

The kitchen and dining room windows also look out onto their drive. The solution here was frosted sticky film on the bottom half of these windows, that helps a great deal actually.

My bathroom window also opens onto that side of the property, so I can't have a shower or dump with the window open as they'd see right in or hear the plop plop :)

Stupid design and quite common. Yeah yeah I know 'move then!' is what you're thinking. However if I want to remain in a detached bungalow, which I do, there's nothing in my price range.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why not stick a fence up?
I'd love to but tbh there's a lack of space and it wouldn't fully resolve the issue as the door isn't at ground level, so even a 6 footer they'd still see in, albeit not as much. And it would be tight at my side as there's literally just a paths width and then the boundary.

I get on with them fine, however it's not ideal when you want a bit of privacy. It'll certainly be on my list of criteria if I ever move, no side on properties :)

We're in a similar position with the lounge window facing the road and the front door down the driveway on the left-hand side of the building. The back door is on the same side as the front door just a few feet away. Originally there was an open car port but now the house has an extension and the back door opens into the garage.

It is a bit odd.

Here's a house similar to ours on the same road, but this one has a single storey extension instead.

Screenshot_20220712-153349.png

Here's a pic of mine. The drive and garage to the left is my neighbour. They park on the drive parallel to my 'back' door steps. So you can see, when the door is open it's basically right out onto their property. It's all hindsight but I wouldn't have bought if I'd realised at the time. Something as simple as coming and going out the back door into the back garden is far from private, especially if the neighbour's in their front garden or whatever. So I just use the other door all the time. As I say, first world problem, I get that.

If I even had a foot or two more boundary I'd get a fence up, but as you can see would make mines a bit dark and tight and wouldn't resolve the 'seeing in' aspect.

house.jpg

I'm reminded of those oh so tasteful plastic strip curtains which stylish people used to put across open doorways. I think they were to keep flies out, remember?!

Sponsored Links
Back