What do you live in?

To me, the sensible layout would be a through kitchen diner and separate lounge, but there you are.

Not to me - I absolutely, positively hate open plan kitchen/dining/lounge. So much so refused to buy one house we looked at.

House I was brought up in was like that - could never understand why I had problems with getting or holding girlfriends; eventually one girl asked was I a chef? As I wasn't I enquired why she thought I was - to be told I smelt of cooking/frying. We had a drying rack over the fire place in that room where clothes were aired - but the clothes also picked up the cooking odours. With that knowledge I made changes to how my clothes were washed and dried.
And the 'fun' life improved tremendously!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, me too.

We came here in our early 30s and are now mid-late 50s. Our previous house was on a busy main A road with a major DC A road and railway line parallel at the bottom and the M6O ring road behind.

Very noisy all day, with the early buses shaking the house and waking you up @ 6ish.

Then taxis at one of the most popular pubs in South Manchester honking away right opposite at 11-12...

So when we moved Southerer to a much quieter minor road on a 60s housing estate, we literally could not get to sleep. It was sooooooo quiet!!

Took us months to get used to it.

We used to live a mile away from Speke airport when I was a teenager. Every night without fail we would hear the mail planes taking off from around 1.00am to 3.00am Took the whole family months to get used to them to the point we began sleeping through the night. Then one night we all began to wake up around the same time and eventually ended up in the kitchen drinking tea and discussing why we had woken up. Turned out heavy snow had closed the airport and we were actually disturbed by the quietness. Once the airport re-opened a few nights later we all slept through the night again.

When we lived in Plaistow, East London, Mrs Motties mate from work moved to Plaistow from Bow, East London. She said it was so quiet she felt like she was living in the country. It's all relative I suppose. When we moved to Hornchurch, the quietness and lack of busses going past our window kept us awake at night until we got used to it. I also got the shîts for a couple of weeks because of the change of water!

Sponsored Links
When we lived in Plaistow, East London, Mrs Motties mate from work moved to Plaistow from Bow, East London. She said it was so quiet she felt like she was living in the country. It's all relative I suppose. When we moved to Hornchurch, the quietness and lack of busses going past our window kept us awake at night until we got used to it. I also got the shîts for a couple of weeks because of the change of water!
Wifes cousin lives in Kent, when he brought his wife (& cats) to stay in a holiday let near us she hated it because it was too dark at night.

Back