What pets do you have

Absolutely Raebhoop. I take ours a good walk at least twice a day. Once in the morning then in the afternoon when I've done for the day. Weekends, he's hardly in the house an hour till he wants walkies again. I usually take him through the woods near where I live and at one point , there's a bit of a deserted wasteland which is fenced off. Kids have removed a few of the fencing panels . I only have to wave my arm towards a space in the fence and tell him to go. and he tears off through the gap, then right up to the end of the wasteland , back through another space and eventually comes running down the trail in the woods to me. He can brighten up my day when I'm feeling a bit down, loves kids (although he can't manage a whole one). He's as friendly as friendly can be. Eats almost anything he can get his teeth into (including the kitchen wall when he was a bit younger. Almost made it through to the living room one night) Now he sleeps in the living room and can go into the kitchen where his basket/bed is. But he's content lying on the sofa when we go to bed. If the missus gets up before me, she'll make a cuppa then tell him to fetch daddy. He tears through the house to the bedroom, jumps straight on top of me, till I get up. Just to see him brings a smile to my face. Adverts on the TV with dogs and cats in drive him barmy (who says dogs can't see TV?) Sometimes he's been lying asleep and he's woke up to adverts on the TV with dogs in them (I'm sure he knows them by the music/voiceover now) Sometimes his antics have me in tears of laughter. In short, we think he's wonderful.

Sponsored Links
None ATM. Various reasons.
Had Jack Russels when growing up. Gits died as they do. Got another and it had the 3rd reported case of dog brain tumour so did deal with Blue Cross where they took him in to seee shat they can do and help others. Put me off after that.
Royal Python, was fun. Grew too big ( like 6ft is too big), so wife said hiom or her...................wrong choice no snake and divorced :D
Fish, cold water.............sons when young, well dont ask. Cost a fortune!

Got a fox and a cat now. Debating a new air rifle or crossbow to slove that issue. They like my garden, or more to the point the plants in it!

No pets at present but the back garden is like a pets cemetry .
I Collie , 1 rabbit 2 guinea pigs about a dozen hamsters oh and both the inlaws ashes in a rose bush, have left room for there daughter to join them :LOL:

No pets at present but the back garden is like a pets cemetry .
I Collie , 1 rabbit 2 guinea pigs about a dozen hamsters oh and both the inlaws ashes in a rose bush, have left room for there daughter to join them :LOL:

Grab hold of this book,

Stephen King's Pet Sematary

then think again, muwhahahahahahaha

Sponsored Links
2 Cats, a rabbit, 2 hermans tortoises, 4 blue tongued skinks, 12 royal pythons,6 corn snakes, 3 sand boas, 2 mice and some giant african snails. The wife is an animal nut...

Well JJ...
Mine don't get the exercise like they used to....from pups I've taken them to a country park early mornings...never on a lead and no other dogs about.Dozens of acres and they knew every tree...they would disappear from sight but always return when called.

61969806.jpg

efa1d4ab.jpg

Trouble is now 'little un' has it in his head that he wants to return to the car and legs it back after a few hundred yards...I don't know why...the behaviour is recent.
OK if parked off road,but a worry if I'm parked in a lay by with passing traffic.I can yell my head off but he won't stop until he gets back to the car where he sits waiting.
I don't like keeping him on a lead..defeats the object of giving 'em a good run.

3 Ferrets , English Bull terrier & a Shar pei/staff cross...................problem being the English Bull keeps taking the wifes knickers & eating em :eek: costing me a bleedin fortune down M&S :rolleyes:...............he doesn't bother with me boxer shorts.

Trouble is now 'little un' has it in his head that he wants to return to the car and legs it back after a few hundred yards...I don't know why...the behaviour is recent.

is it at every park/woods you go to ?
has he ever been spooked at this place ?
do you find he stares in to the distance before running off ?

Must admit raebhoop, our mutt shows very little signs of road sense. We are trying to train him to sit and wait at the roadside. Got one of the extending leads so he can walk in front of us, but when near a main road, we have to be very careful with him and pull him in to a short lead.
I think the trouble with Collies is,,,, They become too focused on what they see as a target or something, and completely ignore any commands given,(although watching sheepdog trials, they should be listening for, and obeying commands)
Our dog is very aware of what is around him and it seems there are lots of distractions, which I don't even notice ( a bird sitting in a tree that he can see, or a cat behind a fence he's noticed earlier)
I reckon our dog is just at the right age now to begin training him properly as he's starting to settle down. (having said that, he's now whining because the budgie has just whistled)
Ahh well ...... ;) ;) ;)

Must admit raebhoop, our mutt shows very little signs of road sense. We are trying to train him to sit and wait at the roadside. but when near a main road, we have to be very careful with him and pull him in to a short lead.
I think the trouble with Collies is

you've answered your own question

Got one of the extending leads so he can walk in front of us,
you've got one of the worst leads poss to train a dog on.
a dog needs to be focused on you you won't get that with a dog walking 5ft in front his in control not you.
the more that lead is taught the more that dog wants to go it'll be it's natural instinct to pull.
you need to start with the basics of walking by the side before teaching it to sit at the roadside.

is it at every park/woods you go to ?
has he ever been spooked at this place ?
do you find he stares in to the distance before running off ?

It's everywhere now...and none of the above.He's ten years old now and all his life he's been with me.
Accompanying me to markets every day over the years,so the car has been part of his life as a travelling dog kennel.
He feels secure there...On going to a wood he'll join his brother and romp and chase sticks,but after 10 minutes or so as we get further away from the car he will look over his shoulder and I know he's going to run back to the car.
It doesn't bother me if he's happier in the motor, but it's a shame when his brother would go on for miles.

PS...nothing spooks my dogs...they are totally unphased by a firework display when others are cowering in a corner.

Sponsored Links
Back