Side return extension - flush RSJs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have planning and building regs approval for a single storey side return extension. The drawings show the RSJ positions. My concern is that if they simply take the place of the existing lintels above the windows (see photos) there will not be enough head clearance. The ceiling is already quite low. See measurements
4A30C7FC-AD5B-41CD-B559-8AB35F42D1D1.png
982B1D50-2DFC-4BBB-9396-BE0299DAFC2B.jpeg
7791B474-3576-4C27-964C-AFAF0048E597.jpeg

Can the RSJs be made to be flush with the current kitchen ceiling height? How difficult is this for a builder?

Any advice much appreciated

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Your designer should have designed the supports to be within the roof/ceiling. It's not rocket science to design or do it.

I never asked them to. Have overlooked this with my architectural designer. Only just realised.

It can be done but will be more expensive and can cause disruption to the upstairs floors depending on floor depths and joist runs.

Sponsored Links
I never asked them to. Have overlooked this with my architectural designer. Only just realised.
You should not really need to have asked, it should be done as standard. Who wants a horrible beam breaking up a flat ceiling?

Steels can be put flush in the ceiling, but it isnt easy.

Depth of steel may be deeper than joist depth -sometimes a UC can be specd instead of a UB.

Until ceilings are opened up its impossible to know what is involved. Pipework, electric cables can be in the way.

Often upstairs flooring will need taking up.

Still better doing all that than spending the rest of your time in the house, banging your head. :)

50% of extensions I see have horrible beam down-stands. Understandable as doing it properly is much more invasive on the house =£££

It's worth doing though, considering how prominent it'll be.

Ours ended up with a compromise, the front to back beam was down stand and the left to right was flush.
This helped with the joists upstairs and the arrangement of beams on the column, so was hopefully the best balance of cost.

Thanks for everyone’s posts. In my case both the front to back and left to right beams will need to be almost flush with ceiling I think because having either at 6ft1 is going to cause bruised heads...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back