Siegenia Tilt & Slide - unsure about bogey spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a house which has a Siegenia PSK tilt & slide door - must be around 10-15 years old, which didn't close properly. With some exploded diagrams, I found one of the lower bogeys had come unscrewed and the top gliders needed replacing. All fixed!

However, I still find the door does not spring out very evenly. I've seen 'leading bogey springs' on the web, but I am convinced this will not fit on my door.
Example: http://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/siegenia-aubi-psk-patio-door-leading-bogey-springs/
This appears to fit a different Siegenia mech (looks like pressed steel; mine looks like a casting) Instead I have nothing on the front bogey, but a strange bit of metal on the trailing bogey that looks like it should do something important in swinging out the door.

Based on the first two photos attached, does anyone recognise what the circled metal strip should do? Currently it just flaps around, pinned at one end.

Perhaps my age of Siegenia doesn't generate a lateral force to help push out the door, but it seems a bit naff if you have to grab the door frame to get it to clear the lock pins.

Thanks for your help!

Gordon

Trailing bogey with part circled:

Leading bogey - if it helps identify the door type/age!

Sponsored Links
I've taken another look - definately no place for a spring on the front bogey. I did find a useful reply from crank39 on a similar issue, but the photos on that thread don't match up to mine.
//www.diynot.com/forums/windows-doors/tilt-and-slide-doors-again.309917/

Perhaps a more basic question - does anyone know of a tilt & slide door manufacturer which has a spring on the rear (trailing) bogey? This is definitely a Siegenia, but I might get an idea if I could find a picture of a different brand.

I've taken another look - definately no place for a spring on the front bogey. I did find a useful reply from crank39 on a similar issue, but the photos on that thread don't match up to mine.
//www.diynot.com/forums/windows-doors/tilt-and-slide-doors-again.309917/

Perhaps a more basic question - does anyone know of a tilt & slide door manufacturer which has a spring on the rear (trailing) bogey? This is definitely a Siegenia, but I might get an idea if I could find a picture of a different brand.

Hi there.
I was wondering whether you had solved your problem ?
I too have a 15yrs old PSK portal door from Siegenia installed . The bogey mechanism shown on your pictures is the same as mine and is difficult to open.

I would appreciate if you could tell me whether a spring was indeed missing...

Sponsored Links
I managed to get it working well without any new spring. I found that the roller bogey levelling thread (large thick bolt) had come loose so the bogey was not evenly sitting on the tracks. That had caused the scissor metalwork to bend slightly. After fixing that, and substantial amounts of grease (and replacing the top plastic sliding cassette which had broken)... it's reasonably smooth.

If you push the door towards the frame it will not spring back, but equally it tends to stay out in the right place until the locking pawl catches. If it misses, you can slide the door open until it hits the end buffer - which causes the scissor action to push the door out properly.

I'm not sure that explanation makes much sense, but basically by straightening any bent metal, then cleaning out the old dusty gunk and replacing with fresh grease - it's been working smoothly ever since.

Good result, thanks for keeping us updated. Could be useful to put a bit of loctite on those bolt threads to prevent any further unscrewing...pinenot :)

I managed to get it working well without any new spring. I found that the roller bogey levelling thread (large thick bolt) had come loose so the bogey was not evenly sitting on the tracks. That had caused the scissor metalwork to bend slightly. After fixing that, and substantial amounts of grease (and replacing the top plastic sliding cassette which had broken)... it's reasonably smooth.

If you push the door towards the frame it will not spring back, but equally it tends to stay out in the right place until the locking pawl catches. If it misses, you can slide the door open until it hits the end buffer - which causes the scissor action to push the door out properly.

I'm not sure that explanation makes much sense, but basically by straightening any bent metal, then cleaning out the old dusty gunk and replacing with fresh grease - it's been working smoothly ever since.

Hi . Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I shall have a look at this this week-end and see if my Siegena mechanism exhibits the same "fault".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back