Upvc Tilt/Slide door. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello People. My First post here, and i'm after some help!

I'm trying to hel someone out. They have a tilt/slide patio door. It shoudl work like this :

Turn handle 90 degrees, and the top of the door tilts inwards to give ventilation. Turn the handle 180 degreed and the door pulls out and slides.

Over the last year, the handle became "notchy" in it's operation, and eventually the door would only tilt and the bottom would not release to allow it to slide open.

I Removed the handle from the inside, and there is not sign of the mechanism that the square peg of the handle should go into. The handle now just spins with no resistance. I assume the mechanism has disintegrated.

The top of the door will tilt inwards, but the door won;t open , so i can;t get to the side of it , where i presume there are some screws to allow removal of the mech. The other problem is that it is now insecure, as a push of the door from the outside allows it to tilt inwards.

Can anyone advise how i might start to get the door open/out, or get to the mechanism ?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Across the bottom of the door you'll see an aluminium cover with end caps at each end, slide the end caps upwards and unclip the ali cover, under you'll see 2 circular plugs with a allen key fitting, wind these down, these lift the door up and should release the bottom, other than that all i'll say tilt n turns are and absolute nightmare and should be banned! :cry:

Across the bottom of the door you'll see an aluminium cover with end caps at each end, slide the end caps upwards and unclip the ali cover, under you'll see 2 circular plugs with a allen key fitting, wind these down, these lift the door up and should release the bottom, other than that all i'll say tilt n turns are and absolute nightmare and should be banned! :cry:

Thanks. I did slide the caps off but never removed the cover. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks. I did slide the caps off but never removed the cover. I will check it out tomorrow.

The ali cover can be a bit of a pig to un clip but trust me it does come off :confused:

Sponsored Links

The ali cover can be a bit of a pig to un clip but trust me it does come off :confused:

Thanks, i removed the cover, and used the allen bolts to lift the door of. Managed to get the mech out of the dor, and going to see if i can source a replacement.

Andy :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back