Tilt and turn windows won't tilt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tilt and turn window in bathroom (most important for ventilation) will not tilt inwards when the handle is moved into the up position. When I bought the house, the windows only turned inwards on the two hinges on the side. It turned out that regular handles were installed which didn't allow the handle to be turned upwards to unlock the tilt mechanism.

I easily replaced these but the bathroom one was always a bit still when turning the handle to the tilt position. I thought I had resolved this by spraying a load of WD40 in and around of the moving parts but this hasn't lasted.

I've discovered that the handle does move upwards (to the tilt position) freely when the window is opened on the turn position and the latch is manually pressed in which is how I would imagine it would when the window is closed. I know that this is likely the issue and wonder if there is an easy fix to this?

Apologies for if this makes no sense.

Sponsored Links
You can normally take the window off by removing the top hinge bracket; then it lifts of the hinge pin on the bottom. Then you can check around the mechanism to make sure that nothings popped out of the linkage. You might be able to move your finger round the frame, and check that all of the locating pins move up and down as the handle is moved. I always keep an eye out for these windows being thrown out, then I dismantle them for their parts.

Do you actually have a tilt and turn or just a turn? Does it have the correct hinge at the bottom and the mechanism for turning on the frame side of the window? Put some pictures up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back