Tilt and slide doors. again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a tilt and slide door for a number of years now but a bit seems to have fallen out and the door doesnt catch when you pull it open and so can be a pain to close it especially as the kids are in and out through it all the time.

As you can see from the photos, there is the pin, the spring that must have something to do with it and the mechanism being held open.

Photo album at //www.diynot.com/network/madmag676/albums/ as cant seem to be able to attach to this post

Does anyone have any idea how I can sort it out please or get spares?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Don't tell me, the door flops back against the frame and won't click and stay open, tell me i'm right? :D

Sponsored Links
Inherrant problem with tilt n slides, the spring has snapped, you'll need the make of the locking mechanism, a common one is SI Siegenia but there are others, look for markings on handles or on the lock mech itself, then you'll have somewhere to start, you can buy the springs off the net as i've done one before but i said i'd never ever do one again.

To get access to the spring and bogey wheel set up just slide the 2 end caps up and prize off the aluminium cover plate, once on your knees you will see wheels, levers, springs (or lack of ;) ) and all sorts of other gubbins

Good luck, you'll need loads :confused:

It is a 10p part that has failed, to understand what where why and how just kneel down on the outside of the door and gently slide it shut pushing it inwards with a tiny bit of force, just as it would of been if still working, when nearly shut you'll notice in the bottom corner there is like a cupped striker plate which should be right at the end of the runner, when the door gets to this striker and connects it releases a lever on the bogey wheels and the door, under its own weight flops into the opening, this is the lever that the springs joins to and it holds the lever under tension in a certain place, in a little cut out, when its held there the door will glide sideways all day long but if the spring snaps (and you have bits to say it has) the lever is no longer held under tension, comes out of its little cut out and allows the door to flop against the frame as it thinks its in the right position to do so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back