Tilt and Slide Patio door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have tilt n slide patio doors.
Old school, I know but they came with the house.

The handle is on the inside, nothing on the outside and the lock is above the handle. The lock is just spinning in its housing and having no impact on the door mechanism. Fortunately it's locked!

Photos of the lock at //www.diynot.com/network/Betty8oo/albums/

I'm hoping a replacement lock will sort the problem but before I shell out for a locksmith can anyone tell me if its a replacement door job or not and/or offer any other advice....? :D

Sponsored Links
If you mean the handle is just spinning without doing anything then its a broken locking mechanism, a decent locksmith could trace/source a replacement or if obselete a suitable modern version, do able but could get expensive

If its the keys that are just spinning in the barrel then more than likely its just a barrel, very inexpensive to replace, once the doors open its a 30second job, getting the door open could be tricky though, both scenarios require a locksmith

Google euro profile cylinders to give you an idea of prices, but bear in mind there are cheap standard basic ones and there are the more expensive ones, namely anti bump, anti snap, anti drill and anti pick

On the handle you will find 2 screws, if you undo them the handle will come off. You will find the spindle, which is a bout 6mm square if this is warn then you can replace it. To open the door you can put a flat bladed screw driver in the hole were the spindle came out. very rare that the barrels break. be carefull if you get a window company out to look at it cos they will tell you its the door thats gone and try to flog you a new one.

Hi Bettie, I used to be a window installer and have been for 25 years, i worked as an installer and a service engineer. so if i can help i can.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for the responses I will do as advised and let you know the outcome. Much appreciated :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back